1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NY Tailor--Bruce Cameron Clark

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lint Brush, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Passed by this store on Lexington near 71st . . "Bruce Cameron Clark, Bespoke Clothier".  Anyone know this fellow or his work?  It's next door to Vincent and Edgar bespoke shoes . . .

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

He's not a tailor, more of a wardrobe desinger. The clothes are outsourced. The prices are high. What you're paying for, really, is convenience and his taste. More for rich guys who don't know much about clothes, want to wear good stuff, and are happy to pay others to think about it for them.

3. Lint Brush

Lint Brush Senior member

Thanks for the info . . .I will, needless to say, not be patronizing the establishment (I'm not rich and I'd rather make my own fashion mistakes).

4. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's nicely made, and from what I have seen, extremely bold. But there are probably better options in NYC for the price...

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

I added pics of three BCC items to the 'bespoke gallery' thread, if you are interested.

6. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

I am a customer. I recommend him.

First, Bruce doesn't hide the fact that he isn't a tailor. He uses an outside tailor and shirtmaker. He uses top people, and he is involved in the manufacturing process. There are other clothiers who out-source but lie that they have their workshop off-premises. Bruce doesn't play that deception.

Second, Bruce is more than a stylist and wardrobe adviser although he gave me some key advice which turned around my outlook on clothing for the better. (His advice was worth more than all all of my prior bespoke suits.) He is involved in the production in that he takes the measurements, is invoved in the pattern making, handles the alterations and changes to the pattern, and does the fitting. Of the non-tailors that I have dealt with he has the most knowledge and ability. In other words, he knows how to make clothes (suits and shirts), he knows what is needed in the pattern, and he knows how to make the adjustments. He knows more than an eminent designer-clothier that I have used.

Bruce has spent at least 30 years in the biz and many years in Savile Row and the environs. He was in charge of bespoke shirtings at the fabled Tommy Nutter. The shirts that he has made for me fit better than Turnbull's. He made changes to my pattern in his shop. His shirts have a little more flair than Turnbull. E.g., his three button cuff is a little longer. In other words, his shirts are not cookie-cutter copies.

Bruce made for me a sportscoat and trouser. Both are excellent. The sportscoat is better than a Savile Row house that I have been using for a few years.

His style is somewhat bold and theatrical. He encourages a beautiful, contrasting lining which is beautifully handsewn. He likes shape to a garment. He is not for those seeking a sack suit.

He offers real bespoke and MTM. He prefers bespoke since he has more control over the process as compared to MTM which is done by a local factory.

His delivery times are short. He can turn around a bespoke shirt order (no minimum) within 2 weeks. He can turn around a bespoke suit order in about 5 weeks.

He'a a real, English character.

He's expensive but within the same price range as Turnbull and some of the local tailors. As compared to some RTW items down the street (e.g., RTW shirts at $400) Clark provides honest value for the money.

Cheers.

7. Mark Seitelman

Dear Jonathan,

It was nice meeting you.

You and the other members should feel free to call upon Bruce to see whether he "bespeaks" your requirements. Feel free to use my name.

Mark Seitelman
    (a/k/a Son of Brummell)

8. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Has anyone used the services of Stephen Kempson, who seems to offer the same services in NY as Clark does?

9. Manton

Not me personally, but I have friends who have. They are quite satisfied, especially with the shirts, which are made in England. I think they start at $275.

10. arvi

arvi Senior member

i'm feeling really lost now..i live in this neighborhood and shopping is a passion of mine..don't know how i could have missed both of these establishments unless they're not street level..please advise..thanks

11. Manton

Kempson is a little further south, 445 Park at 56th.

12. Mark Seitelman

Bruce Clark has a second floor shop on Lexington Ave. bet. 70th and 71st St. on the east side of the street. He has a plaque on the ground level, and his name is painted on his windows. ("Bruce Cameron Clark, Bespoke Clothier")

Bruce is a one man band, therefore, don't be surprised is he isn't in. However, he usually is at this shop. Since he lives two blocks away he makes appointments for the convenience of his customers (e.g., 7:30 am or a Sunday).

He is open and friendly and has no problem in discussing clothes and his services. As I indicated in an earlier post, he is a real, English character.

I do not know where the other gentleman does business.

13. dorian

dorian Senior member

The real character with billowing gray hair, glasses and hot pink linings on his suits?

I always see this gentleman on Lexington between 70th and 71st streets, so my guess is that would be Mr. Clark.

14. Mark Seitelman

Yes, that's Bruce. He is the unofficial mayor of his stretch of Lexington Avenue.

He just made for me two shirts. Very nice, indeed.

15. lisaannsumption

lisaannsumption New Member

16. yfyf

yfyf Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Weirdest thread resurrection...?

17. Mixwell

Mixwell Well-Known Member

18. barims

barims Senior member

Has anyone else used his services of late? His work sounds practically ideal for me

19. Mark Seitelman

I recently saw Bruce and ordered some shirts.

Bruce falls into the category of custom clothier/stylist. He makes clothes for his customers, and he carries no RTW.

He does not make the clothes. Everthing is made and altered off-premises. He uses a top shirtmaker. His suits are made by one of the best MTM houses. If you want to see him cut your suit and a bunch of tailors sewing, he is not for you.

Why Bruce? He is an excellent fitter, stylist, and advisor. He comes from the Savile Row culture. He strives to make the best suits and shirts that fit your body, life style, and personality. He is not afraid to make recommendations. In comparison, I have found other clothiers to be a little reticent to the extent of being mere order takers.

I have mostly used Bruce for shirts, and he is excellent. He used to cut shirts at Tommy Nutter, and he also used to manage the Coles on Savile Row. On the tailored clothing front I only used him for a couple of items, but I am considering an order since he has had excellent results from his new suitmaker.

All of the clothes are top quality. He has a small selection of shirtings and suitings in the store. Of course, he has all of the leading sample books and a few English ones which are not readily available.

On the issue of price, I think that it is best to discuss it directly with Bruce. If you are looking for a bargain, this is not the place. I recommend discussing price up-front so as not to waste your time and his time. His prices are comparable to the best makers in midtown and uptown.

Although Bruce is usually at his store, it is best to call Bruce in advance since he is a literally a one-man show. His number is 212-772-7701. He is flexible about hours, such as early mornings and weekends.

If you visit him there are always some clothes in either alteration stage or ready for pick-up. It will give you an idea of his work.

Good luck.

20. Eric912

Eric912 New Member

I have been a customer of Simon Barchi's for over 7 years. He is by far one of the best custom Bespoke Tailors left in NYC. He is original, does the work on site and my entire firm now uses him. I turned them all on to his suits and custom shirts. He has been in business for over 40 years. I was very impressed with his new showroom on East 55th street. If your looking for fine work he is the man to see. Tell him Eric sent you.

Barchi Bespoke Custom Tailor
    140 E 55th street
    NYC, 10022
    212-752-1448