• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NY Observer article on workwear

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Blah, another overanalyzation of clothing.

atomicranch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Blah, another overanalyzation of clothing.

Yeah, the whole "hard economic times means men want nostalgic clothes" argument is a little silly, as workwear started making a comeback well before the recent economic downturn.

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by atomicranch
Yeah, the whole "hard economic times means men want nostalgic clothes" argument is a little silly, as workwear started making a comeback well before the recent economic downturn.
Making people aware helps with sales. I didn't know "average blue collar" type of guys spend 250+ on denim and $200 on shirts. Isn't work wear supposed to be clothing that doesn't look so great that's MEANT to get all jacked up? Reminds me of the times where people would buy jeans with holes in em.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Robin is correct.
Its so funny to me how people over analyize ****. It's like when Rodney dangerfiled was in 'BACK TO SCHOOL" and had to do a term paper on Kurt Vanghaget (sp) so he hired Kurt and got a "C"
on his paper because the teacher didn't think it was right.( funny movie) the point is its fashion.
People are drawn to certain things and its the americana theme that's in right now.
end of story.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Robin is correct.
Its so funny to me how people over analyize ****. It's like when Rodney dangerfiled was in 'BACK TO SCHOOL" and had to do a term paper on Kurt Vanghaget (sp) so he hired Kurt and got a "C"
on his paper because the teacher didn't think it was right.( funny movie) the point is its fashion.
People are drawn to certain things and its the americana theme that's in right now.
end of story.

I think that some themes are more popular and more pervasive than others. There are a few masculine themes that sort of pervade menswear: military, workwear, westernwear (really, a form of workwear). But yeah, people are prone to over analysis, and linking the economy to fashion trends is just silly.

tagutcow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro

end of story.

It seems to me like a fetishized, hermetically-sealed version of Americana, and the Japanese in particular are known for fetishizing the more superficial elements of American culture, just as self-loathing members of one social class can sometimes fetishize the more superficial elements of another social class.

I'm certainly not suggesting that those are the necessarily the operant motivations of people who dress workwear. If people like the way the clothes look, that's terrific, but I think sometimes people are motivated by a misguided quest for authenticity. I have no problem with appropriating design elements,like military-style pockets on a non-military shirt. Hell, jeans are workwear that have been appropriated into pretty much every other kind of style. Wearing workwear exclusively as a costume, however, really doesn't sit well with me.

seamless74

Reaction score
i find myself slippin more and more into workwear... whether is henleys, or red wings, western shirts, or luchesse boots, i must admit i really enjoy it.. i think alot of the appeal of workwear is its lack of OVERT pretense and its appeal to masculine values its really just a form of stealth wealth and is suitable for all types of venues and atmospheres at least in the daytime...and i enjoy the timeless appeal.. right now id much rather spend 200 dollars on an overpriced 1930's levis wool buffalo check flannel shirt jacket repro than anything remotely associated with some flash in the pan high end name brand..

but all that being said the only main downside to workwear is none of that style works after 5 or 6 in the evening...

LA GUY i see your point except i think many people would argue that the economy has been bad for longer than reported by the media and so maybe there is an unseen trend that has developed subconciously that makes one want to look good yet in an unpretentios way more acceptable.. i mean how did everyone dress in the 80's i mean im sure the whole cocaine and big business gordon gecko type style pervaded then i think if one truly thinks about it its hard to seperate the economy from any issue its kind of like the weather its one of the few commonalities that everyone shares at the same time... im no expert maybe not...

ever think about the irony or workwear i dont think anything could be more metrosexual lol...

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So is "Michael Williams, 29, a partner at a marketing firm who lives in Manhattan but grew up in Cleveland" a SF member?

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
Yeah, them articles overanalyize fashion! Unlike us, who exactly-right-alyize it.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eason
Yeah, them articles overanalyize fashion! Unlike us, who exactly-right-alyize it.

**** n00b!

izlat

Reaction score
No offense, but I find it funny that the spokesmen associated with *authentic workwear / Americana* are guys from Japan and Montenegro, and considering the prices they are charging lol

I do wear Sugar Canes as I type, but if I wanted something *authentic* - I'd go for vintage Levi's or Wranglers any day. As it is, I wanted something different, which the SC gave me (a distinctive, if garish, python patch and truly amazing fabric)

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dusty
So is "Michael Williams, 29, a partner at a marketing firm who lives in Manhattan but grew up in Cleveland" a SF member?
Not that I'm aware of, but maybe he lurks here. He's the guy behind acontinuouslean.com.

timpoblete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Not that I'm aware of, but maybe he lurks here. He's the guy behind acontinuouslean.com.
I knew that name sounded familiar.

BTW, let's not get into this whole workwear stealth wealth discussion again in this thread. It's been discussed in several different threads in the past 6 months. Don't know what keywords to search, but something including "Engineered Garments" and "I don't get it" should suffice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads