• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nw York Shopping

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm off to NYC tomorrow. As a New York native I pretty much know my way around.
I scanned numerous "New YorK shopping'posts on SF. My taste is quite traditional,
like Paul Stuart for example. Lately, Ive been wearing Belvest and Sartenopea, but
only those models that look sort of "ivy". No close-fiting, narrow lapel ,short tight jackets for me.
Epaulet doesn' carry my size- 44R. I may trek down to Jay Kos' new location,
He had some extraordinary sport coats last time. Any suggestions for sportcoats,
sweaters. dress shirts on sale?

Thanks.

Last edited:

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Kos is so different from old Kos that I don't think there much, if anything, he sells now that I would wear.

The best new places that opened up recently IMO is Kamakura shirts and The Armoury in Tribeca. Kamakura seem good value for the money. The Armoury has good selection of umbrellas and other accessories. NMWA has their office in NYC but it is not a retail store.

FYi, the old Peter Elliott men's has moved and I haven't been to their new location. The J Press in NYC closed today. http://www.ivy-style.com/after-cent...o-lay-off-staff-close-store-for-one-year.html

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I just got back from NYC. Checked out Petere Eliott(Blue) during a snowstorm
I would call the store a fraud- at least from my point of view. No tailored clothing. Some " blazers"
that look like a curent incarnation of the double -knit plague of the '70s- Yes, I was there. Shirts. that looked no
better than Kamakura selling at discounts from around $300

Kamakura- nice shirts but very generic. If I were a young lawyer or the like with the requirement for understated, even boring clothing, Kamakura would fit the bill at a very attractive price

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads