• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number one reason for men and not dressing to their potential

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
poor guy, he just ran into the SF snark buzzsaw
crackup[1].gif
and he seems sincere too

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same old group of regulars and their followers who like to sabotage a thread that one quite needs answered.

A few of the replies led to the right answer, about men not caring. However, no one mentioned that it's probably because they don't realize why they should care. (As opposed to enjoying looking lousy.)

Brett, if you're aiming to help people at least as much as you are to have business success, don't charge a few hundred dollars per hour for your services.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
+1

Originally Posted by Flambeur
A man by the name of Eric Glennie is the most respected member of this board, as well as an amazing designer/entrepreneur/human being, you should talk to him.

speaking of which, Mr. Glennie has ceased from participating in our forum. I would assume he has finally made it in the big leagues hence the time constraints. like scott schuman.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My advice for men in Vancouver is to stop shopping at Le Chateau. That is all.
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Brett, if you're aiming to help people at least as much as you are to have business success, don't charge a few hundred dollars per hour for your services.
I disagree. Starbucks is successful precisely because they position their product as luxury even though it's not.
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
SF member iLookok sets the bar for mensimageconsulting, and also brings to bear the best technology:
IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Where 2 kop?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Money is one aspect, also so men just don't care what they look like. I have a neighbor that walks out of his house each day looking like he's off to do the laundry but but the sad part is he's off to teach english at the local high school. I have questioned him about dressing better beofre and he said I figure why bother it's not like the school says I have to or anything. i know some think that way but I will never understand it.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by columbia92
If you want to look good wearing clothe.. you should look good naked first!!

Originally Posted by blackbowtie
This statement has immense validity.

I tend to ignore any assertions made with excessive exclamation points, but this is a fair one.

OTOH: One, let alone two "!" relegate this post to teh fail bin. Exclamation points have always annoyed me deeply. I have no idea why, perhaps it's just the attempt to draw attention to a statement that if attention was due, it would garner it on its own merits.

Or perhaps the statement and punctuation was all done tongue in cheek, and I'm too tired to notice/appreciate this.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
SF member iLookok sets the bar for mensimageconsulting, and also brings to bear the best technology:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Michael Alden's videos are almost as good.

So, while a brand called, "Riches to Rags," would be genius, I would just give up.

- B

Nice. Cute but stupid. I can't believe it took her three and a half minutes to say "no light jeans and white sneakers - wear chinos and a button down shirt with brown shoes."

blackbowtie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by L.R.
I tend to ignore any assertions made with excessive exclamation points, but this is a fair one.

OTOH: One, let alone two "!" relegate this post to teh fail bin. Exclamation points have always annoyed me deeply. I have no idea why, perhaps it's just the attempt to draw attention to a statement that if attention was due, it would garner it on its own merits.

Or perhaps the statement and punctuation was all done tongue in cheek, and I'm too tired to notice/appreciate this.

Or maybe you are just reading too much into this.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the Big 4 among men's image consultants? Can a Canadian firm ever big a top dog?

Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
Nice. Cute but stupid. I can't believe it took her three and a half minutes to say "no light jeans and white sneakers - wear chinos and a button down shirt with brown shoes."

billy-mays-dead.jpg

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Entirely possible. I've been up studying for an exam for basically the past day. I'll stand by my illogical hate of exclamation points, though in this particular case the rant was probably unneeded.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the original poster ran away.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
Money is one aspect, also so men just don't care what they look like. I have a neighbor that walks out of his house each day looking like he's off to do the laundry but but the sad part is he's off to teach english at the local high school. I have questioned him about dressing better beofre and he said I figure why bother it's not like the school says I have to or anything. i know some think that way but I will never understand it.

Maybe he thinks it's mainly about conforming to your expectations. As a neighbor and probably not a close friend, you might not be in position to explain that he'd likely get better reactions from his students and perhaps be happier with himself if he dressed with more style. And would you know how to lead him to a look that works for him and wouldn't involve too much money and effort?

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
I disagree. Starbucks is successful precisely because they position their product as luxury even though it's not.

Most people can afford Starbucks, at least in the short term. A large segment of the population would consider image consulting a non-essential service, not something worth a few hundred dollars per hour. Most private citizens who badly need the help probably are in that segment.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Most people can afford Starbucks, at least in the short term. A large segment of the population would consider image consulting a non-essential service, not something worth a few hundred dollars per hour. Most private citizens who badly need the help probably are in that segment.
Actually I'd say it's a non-essential service no matter what. But I would say that a guy paying $20 for the service is going to feel like he received less value than the guy paying $500. This is a pretty well-accepted aspect of retail marketing, I would say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads