• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number (N)ine closing

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Quote:
"Today we received a letter (an actual letter, so you know it's serious) from Number (N)ine. It started with this quote: "When you're finished changing, you're finished." You guessed it: the Tokyo-based, Paris-showing men's label launched 12 years ago by Takahiro Miya****a is closing. The fall "˜09 collection"”portentously called A Closed Feeling"”was the last. The letter went on to say "Over the last decade, Number (N)ine evolved, always forging ahead with a unique and potent vision, to emerge as one of the leading brands of Japan." We agree with the sentiment. Number (N)ine will be (m)issed."
http://www.hintmag.com/blog/2009/02/...mber-nine.html

Note: The information was directly confirmed by Sue, N(N) PR so it's not just a rumor.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sad, one of the labels in that realm that i enjoyed, yet never owned any pieces from

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who's next in the fashun dead pool?

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
^eg

plain.gif

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I continued to be unimpressed with collections as they went on... their focus and aesthetic were very narrow and often hard to wear, very unique but at the same time sort of.... well... "What do I do with THIS?"

It's too bad when creative brands go under or quit, but at the same time, I can't say that this was one that really kept me waiting on the edge of my seat. Even when I don't wear the stuff (like Yohji or Junya), I always look forward to seeing the directions they take it. N (n) just seemed to me after a while to become, "huh?"

If a garment is unwearable or odd, there at least needs to be something stellar about it that makes me wish I lived in a certain way that such a garment might be possible. I found many of N(n)'s items just to be unattractive, albeit unique, and unwearable.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
I continued to be unimpressed with collections as they went on... their focus and aesthetic were very narrow and often hard to wear, very unique but at the same time sort of.... well... "What do I do with THIS?" It's too bad when creative brands go under or quit, but at the same time, I can't say that this was one that really kept me waiting on the edge of my seat. Even when I don't wear the stuff (like Yohji or Junya), I always look forward to seeing the directions they take it. N (n) just seemed to me after a while to become, "huh?"
I am with you on the aesthetic being narrow and hard (more like impossible) to wear for almost everyone, but I completely part company on being unimpressed with the clothes. In fact I was always spectacularly impressed with n(n). It was just realy damned cool to look at, even though I couldn't, and wouldn't, wear most of it; the FW09 stuff being the epitome of that.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Honestly I'm glad, one less japanese label to worry about. Now if only attachment, viridi anne and others that are equally pointless would follow suit.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
Honestly I'm glad, one less japanese label to worry about. Now if only attachment, viridi anne and others that are equally pointless would follow suit.

I can't disagree more. BTW Branquinho isn't doing too well right now. I also hard rumors about TB having problems.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^Though I've enjoyed the huge explosion of menswear options over the past 7-8 years, I also must say that the market is way too saturated and flooded with lackluster offerings. I don't want to see anybody's hard work go down the tubes or go out of business (as, usually, if I don't like it, I just won't buy it), but overall I'm not going to be losing sleep as a lot of brands go under.

I think, in the long run, we as customers and consumers will be better off for it. We will be more careful with our money and the true talents who have the ability to make garments that actually work on humans will stay. We will also have to become more educated as consumers (I hope).

Of course, the counterargument that only the "big" players, with their garish novaplaid and "DG" logos everywhere, will remain... but I disagree. I think we've got too much now of everything and some of these designers are going to have to become smarter and leaner, from the top down and then onto the runways and showrooms.

Just my two cents, of course.

toothsomesound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^I wish D&G went under instead.
Though unfortunately that would be a heavy economic blow to the clothing industry...

Anyway N(N) was pretty inspiring to a lot of people...unlike some brands which continue to churn out average looking clothing at varying levels of quality.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRyanWallace
^I wish D&G went under instead. Though unfortunately that would be a heavy economic blow to the clothing industry... Anyway N(N) was pretty inspiring to a lot of people...unlike some brands which continue to churn out average looking clothing at varying levels of quality.
I agree with "inspiration," but as my dad used to have on his boat, "This boat runs on gas, not thanks." Fashion brands stay in business by selling clothes, not ideas. I think that the best designers are those who can, in tough times, translate their brilliance into wearable garments that keep them in business or that make their business continuation worthwhile. But, again, this is just my own personal feeling about clothes; I'm not at all disagreeing with your assessment. I've just never been one who has bought into the whole "clothes are art" vibe, which many do (and rightly so). So, again, I'm just speaking from my opinion... but I DO agree with you that some of the garish chav brands could go and get cheers, instead of tears.
smile.gif
I wouldn't be surprised to see Versace really scale back. Prada, too. And who buys things from people like Andrew Mackenzie and Bernhard Wilhelm? McQueen is one who, I think, has tempered his "flare" into more wearable garments that are still quite interesting. Helmut Lang used to do this, too, for the most part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads