• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Number 1 Lyricist of all time (Hip Hop)

oceans11

Reaction score
I was watching the VH1 Top 10 MC's that they do periodically & I'd figure I'd throw in a post of everyone's top 3 lyricist of all time.

I'd like to say, keep it "semi-commercial" I mean obviously we all know the underground has some ill artists but if the kid hasn't been heard of even in the next block or city then we're all going to be saying, "Who dat?" Anyway, here's my top 5, respectively.

1. Rakim
2. Keith Murray
3. Biggie
4. Nas
5. Talib Kweli

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you even look at your own avatar?

Young Scrappy

Reaction score
Keith Murray - never
Biggie - He may be one of the best rappers but lyricist, no.
Rakim - not really fan of the era but I can see it
Talib Kweli - corny

Nas (this is my pick for the best)

Honorable mentions:
Scarface
Jay-Z
Beanie Sigel
Redman
Kool G Rap
Ras Kass
Chino XL
Andre 3000

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Keith Murray - never
Talib Kweli - corny

Honorable mentions:
Scarface
Jay-Z
Beanie Sigel
Redman
Kool G Rap
Ras Kass
Chino XL
Andre 3000

Anyone else find it amusing that he called Talib corny while listing Chino XL and Rass Kass top lyricists lyricists? While I'd agree both are skilled their styles, the way they present themselves and the music they make are far more corny than anything Talib could do.
I'd go with Nas and Rakim myself.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont
Anyone else find it amusing that he called Talib corny while listing Chino XL and Rass Kass top lyricists lyricists? While I'd agree both are skilled their styles, the way they present themselves and the music they make are far more corny than anything Talib could do.

well, his screen name is young scrappy.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jpeirpont

I found that amusing. I also wonder if Biggie would be a "top" lyricist if he were still alive. I don't think he was that great.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by binge
Do you even look at your own avatar?

Of course but I don't believe Chuck D, Flav or even Professor Griff was one of the greatest lyricist of all times. Chuck was a good MC with awesome political content but I don't put him up there in the top 5.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7
I found that amusing. I also wonder if Biggie would be a "top" lyricist if he were still alive. I don't think he was that great.

I thought Biggie's flow was nice & I was going back and forth with him & AZ but then AZ & Nas's flow was almost identical so I opted to put Nas & Biggie on my list.

oceans11

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Young Scrappy
Keith Murray - never
Talib Kweli - corny

Honorable mentions:
Scarface
Jay-Z
Beanie Sigel
Redman
Kool G Rap
Ras Kass
Chino XL
Andre 3000

If you can't speak on the era of Rakim & you just passed him by like nothin then I believe you're probably just too young ta speak. Talib corny? So you thought Definition (okay it's Black Star & not Talib on his own) was corny????? Chino XL, seriously?

flashback

Reaction score
nas
biggie

after that the drop-off is pretty steep. I guess next would be R

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scnupe7

Jay is considered one and he is BIG light.

oceans11

Reaction score
Once again this is just MY list. If you got something different then post it.

But I am glad that I don't see a lot of Souldha Boy or Lil Wayne on a list of best lyricists.

scnupe7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceans11
Once again this is just MY list. If you got something different then post it.

But I am glad that I don't see a lot of Souldha Boy or Lil Wayne on a list of best lyricists.

My Biggie comment wasn't really directed toward your list. From what I can tell he is consistently considered a top lyricist and I just don't get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics