• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudies: Dry Japan vs. Dry Selvage

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen Nudies in several cuts that come as both "Dry Selvage" and "Dry Japan," though in the unwashed state they look similar. The greatness (or lack there of) of selvage aside, I'm wondering what the difference is in how they wear. If for example, I plan to rinse them quickly, and not go months on end w/o a wash, which will hold their darkness better? On the flip side, were I to go a while w/o a wash, and tried to get some good fades going, which will wear better? Or is the dying process so similar as to produce no real difference between the two?

tigerx

Reaction score
1. there's no such thing as a Selvadge Slim Jim.
2. Dry Japan > Dry, personal preference here, i own a pair of Dry Japan
3. Dry Japan fade slower then the regular dry

theshonen8899

Reaction score
I don't believe I've heard of a cut that offers both Japan and Selvedge.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Regular Alf now comes in both Dry Selvage and Dry Japan. Denim Bar has both, and the Japans are almost $100 cheaper. This has nothing to do with the Jim, which doesn't fit me.

tigerx

Reaction score
wow i did not read that post very well, i didn't even know Nudie make "dry japan" in any other fit then the slim jim...

beefcake

Reaction score
Regular Alf? My best friend has a pair of SJDJ and they wore fast and very nicely. In short; dry japan ftw!

KennyGhetzoff

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Regular Alf now comes in both Dry Selvage and Dry Japan. Denim Bar has both, and the Japans are almost $100 cheaper. This has nothing to do with the Jim, which doesn't fit me.

DGP, why is it called "regular ALF" and not "Regular Ralph" anymore? Any difference?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The name change was due to some copyright/trademark issue with some other company.

As for the differences between the dry japan and dry selvage, I was under the impression that the dry japan's are a lighter denim weight and are not selvage. I just asked someone at Nudies to verify this though and should hear back soon.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
the dry japan has a greener brighter tone to it, and in the examples ive seen, the depth of the color once worn isn't as nice as the regular dry selvage

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: never mind

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads