• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudies + Cardigan + Polo + Tie = ???

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frankly, it looks like you're trying too hard.

Perhaps a button-down or a lack of the tie with the polo.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know polos with ties are generally frowned upon, but I figured this look might work because:

1) The tie is very casual (loose knitted with a bubble stitch)
2) The cardigan does not allow the tie nor the polo to be over exposed.
3) The color combination is pretty good.

Anyway, I'm interested to hear more feedback.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not horrendous but I think you're better off w/o the tie, just my $0.02.

Homme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't like the tie.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Polos were never meant to be worn with ties. I remember one of our members brining up the history about how Lacoste invented to the polo to get rid of the tie but I'm to lazy to dig up the thread.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theshonen8899
Polos were never meant to be worn with ties. I remember one of our members brining up the history about how Lacoste invented to the polo to get rid of the tie but I'm to lazy to dig up the thread.

Yes, I remember reading that thread. I just wanted to see if I found a way to bend the rules.
confused.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of that look. For one, the coloring scheme looks off. Second, polo and tie don't work together. Third, polo shirt doesn't look good underneath a sweater, IMO. The rest looks okay though.

broady

Reaction score
Nope, don't like the tie

and I think that colour polo is ghastly (at least with your skin tone)

prozach1576

Reaction score
Yeah, polo and tie doesn't work. Frankly, I'm not a fan of layering polos much at all, but that's just me.

theshonen8899

Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
Yeah, polo and tie doesn't work. Frankly, I'm not a fan of layering polos much at all, but that's just me.

Same. I like wearing poloes for a simple and clean look. I'll add a jacket on if it's cold though.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate tie with this. Ties with polos will never work - the collar just isn't designed for ties. Not entirely feeling the colour of the polo. Otherwise, nice
thumbs-up.gif

Stylez

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I was trying to be creative earlier and came up with this look. What do you think? I've never paired a polo with a tie, but the one I decided to try out is pretty casual so I figured it might work. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but my top button is undone.

It looks like the cardigan isnt contrasting too well with your jeans. Are your Nudies blue or black?

Replace the polo with a white buttondown and i think that will improve your look.

It would help posting a larger picture showing the fit of your jeans, and the shoes you plan to wear with that outfit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads