• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie SSDS Japanese or flame?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I think I might try some SSDS. I have RRDS, and I think they are great except I don't love the bootcut, and would like them a bit slimmer at the bottom. What I can't decide is which version would look better. I plan to dress them up often, but in a more west coast style. I like boots and instead of dress shirts will often rock a plain, dark, fitted tee (long or short sleeve) and some kind of blazer. Also, I don't plan to wear for six months before their first washing. My night spots of choice are LA's trendier/classier bars, but I'm not much fo a club person. Think more along the lines of the Standard or W hotel bars. Which denim would seem better suited to my style/lifestyle?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
So I think I might try some SSDS. I have RRDS, and I think they are great except I don't love the bootcut, and would like them a bit slimmer at the bottom. What I can't decide is which version would look better. I plan to dress them up often, but in a more west coast style. I like boots and instead of dress shirts will often rock a plain, dark, fitted tee (long or short sleeve) and some kind of blazer. Also, I don't plan to wear for six months before their first washing. My night spots of choice are LA's trendier/classier bars, but I'm not much fo a club person. Think more along the lines of the Standard or W hotel bars. Which denim would seem better suited to my style/lifestyle?

Why not tailor your RRDS?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's a matter of personal taste. I've seen some pics of how the flame wears and I really don't like it at all. But I think the SSDS is better. It does look classier, imo.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Tough to say. I think if you're looking for something dressier, that will in turn not fade as drastically or as obviously (though I really do like the flame denim fades I've seen), the flame denim is your choice. If you really love the RRDS denim, get the standard Japanese denim.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone sell the Ralf denim one online?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Why not tailor your RRDS?

Too short. These have been altered because I like a bootcut to just break, and I like a straight leg to have at least two inches of bunching up at the bottom. Good idea though.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Calden
Last time I checked they had some at http://www.volls.de, otherwise you could call up the denim bar.

Thanks. However, I ended up ordering the flame from Revolve. In the end, I decided I wasn't going to try and get these to fade a lot, I like them to stay relatively raw looking, and in its raw form, the flame denim is more interesting, in that designer-denimy sort of way (I know, I'm in the minority here of those who like that). But, should I decide I can't live without both (distinct possibility) I will order the Volls.

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i have the SS in dry selvage and they fit GREAT, and we all know what wonderful fades they can produce. i paid a ridiculous $220 for them but thats because i wanted them really bad and these were the first generation japanese selvage. you can imagine how perturbed i was when i saw they came back this season lol.

i'm not a hug fan of the flame selvage just bc from what i've seen it doesn't produce as much contrast. the texture and the color variation it produces is nice though.

if you want texture/slubbiness and a slightly slimmer fit i would try the japanese brands -- you get awesome texture and really good contrast. i've been trying to get my hands on a pair just bc i'm getting a bit tired of wearing my SS. i've done a little bit of research and the following brands have almost the same fit as svens (straight leg, 8ish inch hem, 9-10 inch rise, 14-15 inch back rise)

skull jeans 5010xx
pure blue japan xx-005
studio d'artisan sd-103
samarai s0505xx
somet slim

i think there is a guy on superfuture who is fulfilling orders through japan for a $25 shipping plus 10% commision on the jeans, and they say its cheaper then doing celga or any of the other japanese mail order services. i'm guessing those brands will cost you anywhere from $200-$235, but thats just a guess. i think they are worth the money bc the quality is so much better than nudies (hidden rivets, finished seams throughout, just tougher over all etc). theres also these online stores that may carry what your looking for

http://blueingreensoho.com/
https://own-magazine.com/

batorizer

Reaction score
svens are gonna be less slim than a few of those you posted. I've got both the streaky svens and 5010xx and i can tell you that the fit is so incredibly different that they don't really compare.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by batorizer
svens are gonna be less slim than a few of those you posted. I've got both the streaky svens and 5010xx and i can tell you that the fit is so incredibly different that they don't really compare.

Because of how thick my legs are, I need the extra room in the Svens, I think. I could not, for example, fit into Jims that are my size, my Ralfs are tight enough in the leg as it is, but are perfect in the waist.

Babar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
i have the SS in dry selvage and they fit GREAT, and we all know what wonderful fades they can produce. i paid a ridiculous $220 for them but thats because i wanted them really bad and these were the first generation japanese selvage. you can imagine how perturbed i was when i saw they came back this season lol.

Well, that's only about 30 bucks more than in their domestic market.. They're never put on sale either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics