• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie RR Dry Greycast

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I'm planning to purchase 1 or 2 new pairs of jeans, so far I've been interested in some Nudies (probably RR or maybe Slim Jim), JPDa'mage Ice and APC tight/cure. I might get those but was wondering: -They only had 34" legs, does this mean the construction is actually made for a taller guy than 32" or is the 2" added at the bottom without modifications? ( know I keep talking about the 34" legs but I never asked this particular one...
biggrin.gif
) -Anybody has those, what about the fading, would you say the "greycast" makes the jeans more unique? -What's the difference between these and the RR in dry selvedge? -Is 155$ too expensive for those or is this an honest price? A little question about Slim Jim: -I didn't have time to try them on and will do so when I come back to check the RR greycast (they had to get my size from another store). Am I mistaken in thinking they might have a look similar to New standards but with a bigger seat and slightly larger tights. In other words what's the difference? -What's the usual price range for these... -Would you go one size up/down with these? (the store only has 28 then 30 so I'll have no way to try 29 and I'm a natural 30...)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
A short comment about jeans in general; seems to me sizing has gotten all over the place in recent years, I tried on some 7 and needed a frickin' 28.. Nudie seems to be 29 or 30, APC 28 etc...

Geowu

Reaction score
well, I'm a newbie to these questions, so but you may find some help on http://www.mynudies.com at the forum there are many nudie experts.. at least for some of your questions. hope it helps

ringring

Reaction score
Anybody has those, what about the fading, would you say the "greycast" makes the jeans more unique? It's just a technical term for the shade of indigo. Indigo can 'cast' its' shade in various colours. eg "redcast". It's just that most brands don't use it as a selling point.

benchan

Reaction score
FOr nudie jeans, you probably can get one with a 32 inches inseam.

Brian SD

Reaction score
-They only had 34" legs, does this mean the construction is actually made for a taller guy than 32" or is the 2" added at the bottom without modifications? ( know I keep talking about the 34" legs but I never asked this particular one...  )

That's a really tough question. I would say that it really doesn't matter - they're almost straight leg.

-Anybody has those, what about the fading, would you say the "greycast" makes the jeans more unique?

I've seen pictures of worn in greycast jeans and they look kind of ugly, and not very greycasted. They just seem to have a weaker looking blue.

-What's the difference between these and the RR in dry selvedge?

The Dry Selvage has a more compact, uneven and slubbier denim, and is a little bit lighter weight (I think the Greycast is over 14 oz, the Dry Selvage 13.5). They are considerably more durable as well - Greycasts fade really fast but the denim is weak despite being heavier weight, and you'll get holes in the crotch real fast. Obviously, the Selvages are Selvage, the greycasts are not.

-Is 155$ too expensive for those or is this an honest price?

I wouldn't buy em.

Brian SD

Reaction score
-I didn't have time to try them on and will do so when I come back to check the RR greycast (they had to get my size from another store). Am I mistaken in thinking they might have a look similar to New standards but with a bigger seat and slightly larger tights. In other words what's the difference?

They're slimmer than the New Standards, with a little lower rise, and a less boxy cut around the waist and seat. The A.P.C.'s use selvage denim, the Slim Jims do not. The A.P.C.'s have felled inseams, the Slim Jims don't. The Slim Jim's have chainstitched hems, the NSs don't.

-What's the usual price range for these...

In the mid-100s.

-Would you go one size up/down with these? (the store only has 28 then 30 so I'll have no way to try 29 and I'm a natural 30...)

Nudie 29 is small enough - 28 is probably too small. If the 28 doesn't fit, wait for a 29 or go with the 30.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally like the Greycast, but Brian is right about them not ageing as well as the RR Dry Selvedge. Also, it should be noted that the RR has a slight bootcut, while the new standards are slightly tapered.

chadler

Reaction score
i didn't wanna start a new thread just for one question so here...

i'm trying to decide what size to get for the greycast. for my rrds i wear a 31x34, but now after a few months it's slightly loose on the legs so a 30x34 probably would have been a nicer fit. the 31x34 however, is a size down from what i usually wear, and they were tight at first.

ok, so now with the greycast. i keep hearing about how it's a weaker denim than the rrds, and in a lot of pictures that i've seen of it on mynudies.com, there are holes. i don't want holes. especially at the crotch...but i would like to get a 30x34. so would getting a looser size (31's), decrease the chances of holes forming or is the denim prone to ripping either way? i've also heard that the greycast is a little tighter than the rrds, but that's only SLIGHTLY right? because it's a thicker denim

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i have a greycast in 32x34 and a rrds in 32x32 -- the front and back rise is one inch longer on the 34's

greycasts don't produce a very rich color, but you can def see contrast.

chadler

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chadler
i didn't wanna start a new thread just for one question so here...

i'm trying to decide what size to get for the greycast. for my rrds i wear a 31x34, but now after a few months it's slightly loose on the legs so a 30x34 probably would have been a nicer fit. the 31x34 however, is a size down from what i usually wear, and they were tight at first.

ok, so now with the greycast. i keep hearing about how it's a weaker denim than the rrds, and in a lot of pictures that i've seen of it on mynudies.com, there are holes. i don't want holes. especially at the crotch...but i would like to get a 30x34. so would getting a looser size (31's), decrease the chances of holes forming or is the denim prone to ripping either way? i've also heard that the greycast is a little tighter than the rrds, but that's only SLIGHTLY right? because it's a thicker denim

anyone?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chadler
anyone?

I think, and I could be wrong, that holes have a lot more to do with how you wear the jeans, not the denim. Think about it: before dry denim, people probably wore a pair of jeans once or twice a week. Now, you will see people wearing them like six times per week. So, you have between 3 and 6 times as much wear, so that six months becomes 18-36 months of wear. Now, think of people who wear them for up to a year, and then post pics. You forget just how much more wear dry denim gets in a short time. Maybe that's just my impression.

Metal Circus

Reaction score
I'm really not fond of the greycast color. If you see it side-by-side with the selvage Nudies, they look really flat.

dk7m

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
i have a greycast in 32x34 and a rrds in 32x32 -- the front and back rise is one inch longer on the 34's

greycasts don't produce a very rich color, but you can def see contrast.

do you have the measurement of the front rise for the greycasts and maybe the selvages as well?

And j/w, what is the size of the back pockets of the greycasts because I'm looking to purchase a pair but needed to check if my new wallet would fit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads