• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nudie jeans

Brian SD

Reaction score
Just like to chime in here, as an avid Nudie wearer/supporter, there are *lots* of companies making high quality unwashed jeans aside from Nudie that will give you a very nice effect if warn sans washing. Many of these companies are Japanese. I am particularly fond of Denime, and recently Studio D'Artisan (they use natural indigo, 15 oz denim, and their selvage has blue and green stripes in it, with a gold chain stitch along the bottom hem, around $250 for the vegetable indigo, available only in Japan). APC make very affordable jeans in nice unwashed selvage denim from Japan. The New Standards are similar in fit to the Nudie Reg. Ralfs, with a straight leg instead of a boot leg. The Anglais are a fuller leg, more similar to Nudie Loose Franks. Here are some more examples of unwashed jeans wore for extended periods of time: Edwin 45rpm APC Anglais - 7 years with no wash.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Oh, and:
Brian SD- Do you wash your nudie's?
No. Not until I can't take the smell anymore; currently, they do not smell at all. I'm going to continue to wear them very hard, then get a new pair of unwashed for the next school semester. I might wash them then, depending on how the fading is... that will have been 7 months old of wearing every day, 12+ hours a day. Should be interesting
smile.gif

Sevcom

Reaction score
Wow--the wear on those jeans is incredible. It's like Scott Morrisson's work on Earnest Sewn, only achieved naturally. What's not incredible is the mold that was growing on them, per the author. Are there any other unwashed bootcut jeans with a GTO-type-rise other than the Nudies? I might pick up a pair of RRs at some point, but I'd like to consider some other options. If they were around the Nudie pricepoint or less, that'd be even better.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Sevcom - I really do not know of any off hand. Since selvage jeans have to have a straight outseam, very few companies bother with making a boot cut unwashed jean. There really isn't much of a market for them (although Nudie seems to be changing this fact), as a lot of denim nerds want the straight-leg Levis 1947 style. The Regular Ralf dry Selvage jeans are ringxring, rope-dyed, 13.5oz denim. They're super high quality and the fit is very similar to the GTO.

If the Earnest Sewn wash looked anything like those 7-year Anglais, I would wear ES right now. However, the denim and wear on those APCs is unbelievable, and unmatched. They look better than any pair of vintage Levis I've seen.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Here is what the front legs of my Nudie RR Dry Selvages look like after 2 months of hard wear.
rr_leftlap.jpg
rr_rightlap.jpg

BlvdDandy

Reaction score
Brian -

Are you doing something to make your creases more permanent/noticeable? I've been wearing my RR dry same as you, everyday 12+ hours for 2 months, and while they always crease in the same place, you wouldn't notice the creases as much when I'm standing up or when the pants are off (maybe with the exception of the whiskering behind the knees). That is to say, the creases exist as topographical differences but not chromatic ones. Any tips?

rearviewmirror

Reaction score
Are there any other unwashed bootcut jeans with a GTO-type-rise other than the Nudies? I might pick up a pair of RRs at some point, but I'd like to consider some other options. If they were around the Nudie pricepoint or less, that'd be even better.
You could get Nudie Flare Glenns in Dry. Nudie FG They aren't selvedge, but who cares? edit -- sorry, misread you statement. forget what I said.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dandy,

I wear my Nudies while biking, so this is probably the cause of having more fading where the creases rub together at my lap.

You can take a piece of very very fine grit sandpaper (almost completely smooth), and rub very lightly across the top of the creases on your thighs when you're sitting down. You have to do this extremely lightly, otherwise youre going to ruin the jeans. You will start to see the color lighten up around the high points when youre sanding them. I did not do this with my Nudies, but I have with other unwashed jeans that came out very successfully. Good luck - and be very very careful. You cannot wing this with a coarse sandpaper and do not rush it at all. It took me about two hours of rubbing to get my APCs how I wanted them. Use those 7-year Anglaise jeans as a guide to how you whiskers should look.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Thanks, Brian. I guess I'll just get a pair of dry selvage RRs (though LA Guy's argument for the greycast has merit too).

Hopefully I'll be happier with them than with the pair of Levi's 517s I bought on sale for $24. The rise is too high and the cut generally not that great. Coupled with the crappy quality of the denim, I don't wear them more than once every couple of weeks, and obviously not enough to get good fade/wear patterns.

rlevine

Reaction score
Here is what the front legs of my Nudie RR Dry Selvages look like after 2 months of hard wear.
Brian, you are not cuffing your jeans? Just wondering what you think about shrinkage. I suppose 3% of a 30-inch inseam is around 1 inch, so do you think the wear process can be done without cuffing the jeans?

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Brian SD @ Mar. 31 2005,13:09) Here is what the front legs of my Nudie RR Dry Selvages look like after 2 months of hard wear.
Brian, you are not cuffing your jeans? Â Just wondering what you think about shrinkage. Â I suppose 3% of a 30-inch inseam is around 1 inch, so do you think the wear process can be done without cuffing the jeans?
I am pretty sure that if you wear them for 6 months, the water in the air is going to give them as much shrinkage as you'll get. Mine have shrunk up probably an inch since I bought them. I go the 29x32 size, and they are now actually 32", when I first got them they were at least 33. Also, when I got them, I cuffed them so that the bottom of the cuff *almost* touched the ground when I wore shoes. They shrunk up enough naturally (perhaps from bunching /creases as well as moisture) that they were like wearing high-waters, so I stopped cuffing them. I am anticipating another .5" of shrinkage on the first wash, but that is no problem, they are plenty long enough so that they won't be too short after the wash.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am anticipating another .5" of shrinkage on the first wash, but that is no problem, they are plenty long enough so that they won't be too short after the wash.

Yup, that's about how much more you'll get, maybe even less.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Geez... I hope SF doesn't turn into another one of those "Nudie" fanboy sites
sad.gif
. How many of you are now fed up with their constant harping of how to wear jeans.... its not as if the Swedes has as long a history with denim as the Americans...

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Brian SD @ Mar. 31 2005,03:06) APC Anglais - 7 years with no wash.
Wow--the wear on those jeans is incredible. It's like Scott Morrisson's work on Earnest Sewn, only achieved naturally. What's not incredible is the mold that was growing on them, per the author. Are there any other unwashed bootcut jeans with a GTO-type-rise other than the Nudies? I might pick up a pair of RRs at some point, but I'd like to consider some other options. If they were around the Nudie pricepoint or less, that'd be even better.
If you can find it, look for Lee's X line Roscose in Raw Denim. Here in the Netherlands they cost about Euro 70-80. Great fabric and fits almost like Nudie's Reg. Ralfs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads