Nudie jeans

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gracian, Mar 29, 2005.

1. gracian

gracian Senior member

There seems like a lot of fans of Nudie jeans here. I'm thinking of getting some. Which one's do you have? How long did you go before washing them? How did you get rid of the stink?
    Any one know any online stores that carry them?

2. rearviewmirror

rearviewmirror Well-Known Member

I have Flare Glenn Drys i haven't washed them yet, had them a few months but haven't worn them all that often(1-2x a week) unfortunatley. they haven't begun to stink either because of the above reason, or I just don't sweat very much. if you live in the U.S. there are only a few store that can ship to you: Online Sellers That website also has pictures, a forum, and various other forms nudie information.

3. gracian

gracian Senior member

Interesting. Seems options in the US are limited. Might be an opportunity for an entrepeneurial type, if you could get a good supply.

4. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

Famous Friends NYC and Fred Segal LA will mail order them to you, they seem to always have a good selection.

I am wearing Regular Ralf Dry Selvage, they are almost 2 months old and do not stink one bit. I've been wearing them every day since I bought them, 12 hours a day or more.

5. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Another proud owner of the Regular Ralf in Dry Selvage. I'm also contemplating a pair of Loose Franks, also in Dry Selvage, but I might wait and see how my first pair perform. About 25 wears in - I wore them every day for the first week or so, until a need for variety kicked in. Now, every couple of days. Most of the wear is concentrated on the back of the knees, the back of the ankles where I turn 'em up, back pockets where my wallets go, and of course, the crotch. I'm mystified as to how people get natural whiskering across the lap area, since I hardly get any abrasion there at all. There's no smell, but I'll admit to occasionally turning them inside-out and steaming the crotch. [​IMG] Melbourne has a dedicated Nudie store, but it's pretty pricey. They also have a couple of copies of a little hardcover book, "The Naked Truth About Denim" or something like that, which details the history of jeans. Of course, it's not for sale. Anyone have a copy?

6. gracian

gracian Senior member

Brian SD- Do you wash your nudie's?

NickM-Why do you steam the crotch?

7. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

It gets rid of any lingering smells - at least, it does in my case.

A good all-over steaming gets rid of the smell of tobacco smoke, too.

8. jj4

jj4 Well-Known Member

Sorry if this seems ignorant, but why don't you wash them?

9. YMark

YMark Well-Known Member

Another ignoramous here. I'd like to know also.

10. rearviewmirror

11. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Brian or LA Guy could answer this more effectively - and rearviewmirror has just posted a summary - but I'll go ahead anyway. One of the most popular types of Nudie Jeans is the "Dry" denim - it's a thick, raw dark denim with no pre-made fading, whiskering, holes or tears like a lot of jeans nowadays. Looks something like this: [​IMG] If you wash them, say, once a week, the dye in the denim comes out evenly, and they'd look pretty much the same, just faded. If you go a long time between washes, the indigo wears off the jeans most severely at all the main points of contact - back of the knees, the seat, and so forth. So when they finally get a wash, they come out looking really rugged: [​IMG] For people who like denim, this means that they become your jeans, distressed according to your lifestyle. A lot of this is marketing hype - you can do this with any raw denim jeans, not just Nudies, and you can buy pre-distressed jeans for a lot less - but it'll be fun to see how mine come out. I personally dislike a lot of pre-distressed jeans because the whiskering and fading is inevitably in the wrong places for me - Nudie solves this problem.

12. cloud9eleet

cloud9eleet Senior member

How are the waist fit of Nudies? If I wear a 34 in JPD or PDC, would I wear a 34 in Nudies? How is the fit of the Regular Ralf model? Also, what about price and a source? Looks like I could pick them up at Segal in NYC? Any other source in the city?

13. amirrorcrackd

amirrorcrackd Senior member

I've seen them at Atrium. I would imagine pricing would be pretty consistent, but if one of them doesn't have your size/cut in stock, you could always check the other.

Dan

14. rearviewmirror

reg ralf i would stay either true to your pdc size, or one size down. Don't be alarmed if they're slightly tighter than you're accustomed to because they will stretch with increased wear.

Ralfs are slimmer than GTO's any where you measure, and esp. at the calf. (GTO has a largish bootcut, Ralf has a very modest bootcut)

15. gracian

gracian Senior member

Looks like people are saying barneys, barneys co-op, atrium, and famous friends (9th st b/w ave B and C) are some places to go in the city. I'll have to make a trip there when I get a chance.