1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

NPR: Why Black Men Tend To Be Fashion Kings

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chogall, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

Some time during the 80s, Coach cut back production for it's saddle leather products (the good stuff). Up until then, Coach was sold mostly in high end department stores and luggage stores. Coach start selling lower quality goods covered with the Coach logo. Coach made their bags more available and put millions into ads. Many upper income whites retreated from Gucci, Coach, etc. But middle income and lower income whites brought any and everything made by Coach and even fake Coach bags.

2. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I cannot believe I just discovered this thread.

1 person likes this.
  3. TimelesStyle

TimelesStyle Senior member

Out of curiosity, what city are you in? Assuming you work in a Neiman Marcus?

4. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

I don't want to out myself, but i work for one of Neiman's competitors in the midwest. Why?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  5. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I saw this feature some time back, and own the "Black Dandies" book. I actually found the men high lighted to be amusingly dressed but for some reason Black Academia seems to be ripe with folks wearing bow ties in unfortunate ways. I do think Black folk tend take clothing more seriously than whites and are willing to spend more money and time achieving whatever look they like, however good or bad looking it is. I actually think it is almost pan ethnic in regards to the black race and not quite always a good thing. It is likely somewhat motivated by the fact that blacks are frequently viewed as the low end of the totem pole socially, globally and many times (and sometimes misguidedly) affect whatever trapping of wealth that are attainable to us and easily viewed by others. Personally I dress in a very understated manner(shetland,cords, oxford) tho occasionally I do worry it gives off the image the imagine that I'm assimilated to attempted to. Fortunately most folks tend to just call me Bill Cosby.