• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now look what you've done!

frankie lee

Reaction score
Just kidding.

But here's the thing: After reading this forum for several weeks and learning a great deal from all of you, I've realized that I need to overhaul certain parts of my wardrobe. And suits are right at the top of the list.

A nice charcoal and navy suit are staple items. I've tried on Italian sutis (Canalis and Cornelianis) and find that they look good on me. But they're pretty steep at retail, and plain charcoal/navy suits in these brands don't seem to show up at Filenes/Century 21, or even on eBay.

Should I just suck it up and spend $3,000 on a couple of suits? Or perhaps I am overlooking other solutions?

Duveen

Reaction score
How urgent is your need?

If you have servicable suits and are upgrading, I would suggest doing so slowly as deals occur.

The only time I would consider shelling out near-retail prices is as one enters the job market for the first time.

Don't let your dissatisfaction with the current state of your wardrobe spur a spending spree. If you stretch out purchases over time, you'll both get better deals and allow your taste/knowledge level to continue to evolve.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
How urgent is your need?

If you have servicable suits and are upgrading, I would suggest doing so slowly as deals occur.

The only time I would consider shelling out near-retail prices is as one enters the job market for the first time.

Don't let your dissatisfaction with the current state of your wardrobe spur a spending spree. If you stretch out purchases over time, you'll both get better deals and allow your taste/knowledge level to continue to evolve.

I agree with this completely. A little patience can save you a lot of money. And don't assume these staples won't show up on sale. Last month I picked up a charcoal gray Canali (in 38L no less) at Saks Off 5th, during their sale and stacked a discount coupon. Total price including tax and shipping (I found it during pre-sale) was $530, not bad for a wardrobe staple.

tiger02

Militarist
Reaction score
Lots of Corneliani (and slightly more expensive Belvest and Isaia) on STP.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by frankie lee
Just kidding.

But here's the thing: After reading this forum for several weeks and learning a great deal from all of you, I've realized that I need to overhaul certain parts of my wardrobe. And suits are right at the top of the list.

A nice charcoal and navy suit are staple items. I've tried on Italian sutis (Canalis and Cornelianis) and find that they look good on me. But they're pretty steep at retail, and plain charcoal/navy suits in these brands don't seem to show up at Filenes/Century 21, or even on eBay.

Should I just suck it up and spend $3,000 on a couple of suits? Or perhaps I am overlooking other solutions?

have you tried oxxford, isaia, or belvest? you can get nwt oxxford for 800 at filenes, and maybe 500-1000 on ebay (i just picked up a solid navy for $600, nwt). isaia and belvest as mentioned by tiger02 are good choices as well - they're about $1000 on stp. mostly patterns and pinstripes, though.

I agree with thinman and duveen - take your time and get a feel for what you like.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's a Corneliani in charcoal on STP at this very moment. If they have your size, and if you can scrounge up a 20 percent coupon (they're not uncommon), you could snag one for about $720.

A few weeks ago, they had an additional 20 percent discount on big names, including the Corneliani, and that brought the cost down to $575 or so. Which goes to show that while such deals aren't found every day, they're out there. Don't get dispirited.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about a made-to-measure suit ? For $600-800, you can get your sizing down pat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads