• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice Trying to Step Up His Footwear

jkirk

Reaction score
Alright guys, amateur here compared to the majority of members but trying to step my game up with my footwear as of late. I'm 20, preppy atmosphere and still in college. Right now I'm looking at some Salvatore Ferragamo Pregiato's for my formal outfits. I understand the prominence of the brand but are these shoes that are going to be okay to wear on an everyday basis? IE: Sport coat and tan chinos, navy or grey suit, etc. Forgive me for asking a stupid question but a little at loss with these shoes considering I've never really owned quite the pair.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...0745cat3990749

Secondly, I'm thinking of purchasing some leather chukkas to compliment by suede Clark's for the casual look. Are these a good starting point for something basic to upgrade to from sneakers? Any other comparable shoes to take a look at?

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...0525/20525.jsp

Thanks in advance.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what kind of budget you have ... But must be substantial
eh.gif
... Those Ferragamo are overpriced for what you get.
A.Testoni has some very nice moccasins in a similar tone for less than half the price ... Now they're not "ferragamo"
confused.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can think of about a million shoes I would get before the first ones, but it really depends what you desire stylistically. Honestly, go to blog.leffot.com / leathersoulhawaii.com and peruse their wide collection of shoes. I am sure you will find something that strikes your fancy. Just please lurk here before making a $510.00 decision that you may very well regret [or not, if those shoes are what you want].

And Clarke's desert boots are a nice casual boot.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just say no to Ferragamo.

Blingy and overpriced. Those chukkas are a nice choice for casual though.

jkirk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
I can think of about a million shoes I would get before the first ones, but it really depends what you desire stylistically. Honestly, go to blog.leffot.com / leathersoulhawaii.com and peruse their wide collection of shoes. I am sure you will find something that strikes your fancy. Just please lurk here before making a $510.00 decision that you may very well regret [or not, if those shoes are what you want].

Appreciate the links and advice, I'll definitely do some browsing on those sites.

Originally Posted by anginaprinzmetal
A.Testoni has some very nice moccasins in a similar tone for less than half the price ... Now they're not "ferragamo"
confused.gif

I can't find anything similar that isn't substantially cheaper. Most of the shoes I've found are around the same price retail. ($500) I really am in love with the color and style more than the brand name.

hypostatic

Reaction score
Stay away from the first pair - incredibly overpriced for what you're getting, as others have mentioned.

I'd spend a little less and go for a similarly styled Hugo Boss - still not great, but you're not getting gouged.

Unless you're really into that European look, check out Alden's cordovan line.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In regards to the chukkas, just buy the Clarks version and save $40

celeste_pista

Reaction score
can't go wrong with chukkas like the clarks...crepe soles do wear out pretty quick, though.

on teh loafer side i'd agree that the ferragamos are nice, but for that price you are knocking on the door of some big timer shoes that pop up on the fs boards...

my recommendation would be these: http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline...ategory=120552

for $142 they can't be beat and AE makes quality shoes, although not bling bling brand recognition...

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the PTB is the most versatile shoe - just get one in color 8 or dark brown.

Johnny24

Reaction score
If you want the Ferragamo's scour ebay....I have a whole pile of Ferragamo's I have snagged off of there for a total of what one pair goes for retail. These include a black Newland, and brown Newland (both sleek captoes) that were worn once for a fashion show, a pair of brown chuckka's, formal pumps, black derbys from their higher end line and loafer.

I see that type of loafer in your link on there quite a bit. If you want something new I would go with the AE's they are pretty nice shoes for the price in term of construction and material.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
If you are just starting out in an effort to upgrade, just stick with the basics of Allen Edmonds or Aldens. Get a couple that you like and see how it goes from there. Honestly, I wouldn't go any higher price wise until you have had a chance to wear them and time to scour other, more expensive options.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads