• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Novice Suit Help!

Reaction score
I'm starting a new job at a law firm (I promise not an evil one!), and need two more conservative looking suits to wear everyday. I'm hoping to spend around $300 each. I wear a 42L, but have a skinny frame so will need tailoring. I own a navy pinstripe, so charcoal and grey stripe are solid options right?

I almost pulled the trigger on the Men's Warehouse- Buy One, Get one Free Sale, but my friend said this Perry Ellis suit is not worth the $500 base price, even if I can get another suit for free.

Another option is the Valentino Roma suits on eHaberdasher.com
They have a few for $300, but I'm hesitant since I cannot try them on...

Has anyone had experience with Valentino Roma suits OR knows another Brand/Store I can get a good deal (maybe continue to troll Overstock.com for a Calvin Klein or Ralph Lauren in my size?)

I've been reading this forum for awhile and recognize you all known MUCH more than me, so any pointers would be really helpful! I'd like to make a good first impression at the job.

Cheers

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a suit that fits you well, try measuring it like shown here: http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e...ogos/chart.jpg with the suit jacket buttoned and lying flat. Then you can be comfortable shopping online for suits. Generally, the shoulder and length must fit, and the chest and waist can be adjusted slightly, and the sleeves can usually be taken in or out easily (given enough material). The Valentino Roma suits on Ehaberdasher are a great deal if you see one that is to your liking. Additionally, you can look on the FS: Men's Clothing forum here for great deals on some of the top quality suits. If you like a trimmer fit, brands you might want to consider are: Attolini, Kiton, Borrelli, some Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Isaia, Sartorio Napoli (Kiton or Attolini), Caruso Sartoria Parma, Oxxford (some models except Gibbons), Brooks Brothers Black Fleece, Ralph Lauren Black Label Any of these will be many times better than the Perry Ellis that Men's Warehouse sells, and many are available around the price point of $500 here (although most retail or over $2000). Additionally, a charcoal, navy or grey would be perfect.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should be more confident buying online.

I'm in Nashville, TN. Should I just avoid stores like Men's Warehouse and Jos A. Bank?

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would say avoid them, since you can find much better items at similar prices elsewhere.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThaAmericanDream
Thanks for the replies. I guess I should be more confident buying online.

I'm in Nashville, TN. Should I just avoid stores like Men's Warehouse and Jos A. Bank?

Hello from another Nashvillian.
smile.gif

Not near as much availability of finer Men's clothes at a substantial discount available in Nashville.
You can try:
1) Brooks Brothers--2 suits for $1,498.00--These suits will be a long term staple in your chosen Profession.

2)Saks Off-Fifth @ Opry Mills--Last time I was there I saw some very nice suits from Burberry, Issaih and others reasonably priced.

3)I saw some "decent" suits at the Steinmart in Brentwood for around $300.00.

You should go ahead and get a couple of Brooks Brothers 1818 suits at the 2 for $1,498.--You'll thank me later.
If your truly desparate and broke get a Jos Bank at a substantial discount till you can afford something nice...
Good Luck @ the Law Firm!

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
^are you saying brooks brothers is better than rlbl? Or just stating the cost is higher that is all?

I would say if you have to go for a suit quickly, there is nothing wrong with going to macys and picking up a couple of decent suits to throw around in and see how you feel, look, move in them, and weed out the trial by error.

Then, when you get enough money, try some of the above mentioned , ralph lauren, oxxford, et al. after you converged and refined your tastes and know more relatively what you are looking for.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Most of the stuff at Men's Wearhouse is junk. Very little of is quality. Jos. A. Bank is a notch above. Their suits are a bit too conservative for my taste (too boxy, rarely an interesting fabric choice). They're good quality. The Signature line is much better than their Executive line. Jos A. Bank may be just the thing for you. I also recommend you try on Jones New York (I'll get flamed by the snobs of the forum for that statement), Lauren by RL, and some of the moderately-priced HSM.

Off-price retailers will give you more bang for the buck. I don't know what's in Nashville so far as off-price menswear. If you hit Marshall's at the right time, you can walk out with nearly a wardrobe of suits for the price at a mall department store. Look around in Stein Mart as well.

Anything off the rack is going to need some tailoring. Make sure you budget for that. The key is to make sure the suit fits square on the shoulders and there isn't folds of cloth or sloppiness between your armpits and shoulder blades. Just about everything (within reason) can be tweaked with tailoring but never mess with the fit of the shoulders. If the jacket doesn't feel natural or feels constructive, by all means take it off and put it back on the rack.

cksnipe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
^are you saying brooks brothers is better than rlbl? Or just stating the cost is higher that is all?

If this is directed towards me, I'd say that RLBL is probably less expensive generally than Brooks Brothers Black Fleece. I believe both are made by Caruso, and are probably of similar quality.

Slow Polk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by x26
Hello from another Nashvillian.
smile.gif

Not near as much availability of finer Men's clothes at a substantial discount available in Nashville.
You can try:
1) Brooks Brothers--2 suits for $1,498.00--These suits will be a long term staple in your chosen Profession.

2)Saks Off-Fifth @ Opry Mills--Last time I was there I saw some very nice suits from Burberry, Issaih and others reasonably priced.

3)I saw some "decent" suits at the Steinmart in Brentwood for around $300.00.

You should go ahead and get a couple of Brooks Brothers 1818 suits at the 2 for $1,498.--You'll thank me later.
If your truly desparate and broke get a Jos Bank at a substantial discount till you can afford something nice...
Good Luck @ the Law Firm!

You didn't even mention the best suit store in Nashville - Levy's! (although they are not know for "discount" menswear)

http://www.levysclothes.com/

The store has been around forever, do custom tailoring, and they have a pretty decent selection for a Nashville store. They might not meet the OP's price point, but they can probably get you into something decent while still being competitive with Brooks Brothers' pricing.

x26

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff

I would say if you have to go for a suit quickly, there is nothing wrong with going to macys and picking up a couple of decent suits to throw around in and see how you feel, look, move in them, and weed out the trial by error.

Then, when you get enough money, try some of the above mentioned , ralph lauren, oxxford, et al. after you converged and refined your tastes and know more relatively what you are looking for.

I wish there were a Ralph Lauren flagship store in Nashville!!

Brooks Brother's is probably the BEST CHOICE for a new lawyer in Nashville. It's really the de facto standard of dress in the legal field here. A new attorney should not stand out-besides being maticulous in dress when they are new. BB does this very well.
I believe RLBL would be pushing the envelope so to speak for a new attorney here at least.

Also Brooks Brother has a local presence in Nashville.
We are waiting for our first Nordtrom to open sometime this year.

Reaction score
You guys are great. I think I'm gonna utilize Jos. A. Bank's 2 for $299 deal, then hit Brooks Brothers after I chip away at my pile of student loans.

This leads me to four more questions...

1. Side vent vs. Center vent- this is just personal preference with side vent allowing more flexibility?

2. Pleated trousers are considered more conservative, right?

3. Buttons- since I'm tall and skinny should I only be getting 3 buttons or is 2 buttons still acceptable?

4. Colors- Could I use a black stripe for the office AND for weddings this summer (I'm not "in" the wedding, just invited)?

Would be having navy stripe, black stripe, and oxford gray a solid rotation?

As you can tell, I'm entirely clueless and don't want to be the summer associate that dresses like a fool. Thanks again for all the help, this forum is great.

Shoe City Thinker

Reaction score
Don't buy a side vent if your butt sticks out. Sorry for being blunt but if you have a prominent posterior you will look like a horse's ass (literally!).

2 button is generally accommodating to most body shapes. Concern yourself with the cut of the suit. Since you are tall and thin, you can totally rock the slimmer cut shapes. Watch out for lapel with. Too wide and it competes with your body shape. Too narrow and it plays up your lankiness.

kingyouth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThaAmericanDream
You guys are great. I think I'm gonna utilize Jos. A. Bank's 2 for $299 deal, then hit Brooks Brothers after I chip away at my pile of student loans.

This leads me to four more questions...

1. Side vent vs. Center vent- this is just personal preference with side vent allowing more flexibility?

2. Pleated trousers are considered more conservative, right?

3. Buttons- since I'm tall and skinny should I only be getting 3 buttons or is 2 buttons still acceptable?

4. Colors- Could I use a black stripe for the office AND for weddings this summer (I'm not "in" the wedding, just invited)?

Would be having navy stripe, black stripe, and oxford gray a solid rotation?

As you can tell, I'm entirely clueless and don't want to be the summer associate that dresses like a fool. Thanks again for all the help, this forum is great.

1. I am tall and thin as well; I wear nothing but suit jackets with side vents. The vents are esp. helpful when sticking your hands in your pockets since your seat stays covered.

2. Once again, with your frame, I think that plain front pants would be better for you. I think it is a much cleaner look.

3. I used to buy strictly 3-button suits, but that has changed recently. Not that I don't love those suits, but I don't like a lot of my shirt and tie covered by my jacket. Your frame is quite versatile. Try both on and go with which one is more pleasing to the eye. But nothing says you can't get one of each.

4. Personally, I wouldn't go with a black pinstripe suit. I believe you are thinking about it since Joseph A. Bank doesn't have many fabric choices. And I don't see many opportunities to wear this type of suit at summer wedding. (If you are thinking about wearing a black suit to a wedding, I would suggest purchasing a tuxedo.)

And you are not clueless. You know what you want; you just want assistance getting there. IMHO, clueless is for those men who don't care how they look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads