• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing Fits

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
I've ordered slim fits (in size small) from LEC and Eddie Bauer. LEC is definitely too small, and EB is a little too small. The buttons pull very obviously on the LEC and slightly on the EB.

OTOH, a traditional fit shirt will typically have excess fabric everywhere: chest, arms, waist.

This is in size small. I am a bit frustrated since traditional fit leaves too much extra fabric, yet slim fits can be marginally uncomfortable.

My measurements: 38" chest, 32" waist, 5'8" 150 lbs. This is probably a typical set of measurements for a size small shirt, yet it is surprisingly difficult getting something with an excellent fit.

I'm considering just keeping the EB fitted small (and others that fit like it), rather than wearing my loose fitting traditional fit shirts.

Talk to me. If you have examples of what you think is outstanding fit, feel free.

transient

Reaction score
Eddie Baur? Try more brands and find one that fits you. Or tailor.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
Yeah, Eddie Bauer has a few fitted shirts. And yes they ARE actually fitted shirts. Surprisingly so. It's pretty narrow through the chest. Like I said, it's marginally acceptable (for me). Express fitted shirts always work, but I'd like to be able to try other brands.

cb_32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i originally ordered LEC in small and it did not fit properly at all

medium still doesnt fit too well, but its an ok fit considering its a workshirt its supposed to look a little loose

Knisse

Reaction score
Had same issues in the beginning, i think the trick i to go around (if you have good shops) - find a brand that you like and stick with it. If you happen to run into other shirts that you like then try them on and perhaps graduatly improve the fit as your idea of a "perfect" fit might change.

Be careful of just buying online just because it says "slim fit". Or because others might like their fit, it does not mean that you will.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
That's the issue-I really do have to drive a couple of hours to get to some really good shopping. Online is much more convenient.

Even if I do drive, the stores cater to gals, and even when there's a decent selection of men's clothing, the inventory is often trashed: lying around everywhere, disorganized, and obviously handled and abused in many cases. So, it's mainly online shopping for me.

I'm cool, I was just wondering if people of similar height and weight found fitted shirts that suited them to a 't' so to speak.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Abercrombie and fitch medium

Uniqlo Slim Fit Medium.

Now go away, special flower.

Woodyear

Reaction score
Graphicnovelty do you wear those size shirts? In your pics you look extremely short as in maybe 5' to 5'5 at the most but perhaps its just the photography. Also how are people getting all this uniqlo stuff, isnt it only available by proxy unless one lives in europe or asia?

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm 5'6" 40 inch chest 32 inch waist. Uniqlo Slimfit mediums are too small on me. I also live in new york, where there is a uniqlo

do you have any more stupid questions?

WiseMenOfGotham

Reaction score
I'm close to your build (5'8", 160lbs, 40" chest, 31" waist, 16.5" neck)... I have to end up buying shirts that fit in the neck and shoulders, then have my tailor take in the waist and arms a good amount...

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My shirt's would fit you, for sure.

pimpmystyle

Reaction score
It sounds like you would be closer to slim fit medium in a lot of brands. That's what I'm going to try (LEC and Eddie Bauer).

Originally Posted by WiseMenOfGotham
I'm close to your build (5'8", 160lbs, 40" chest, 31" waist, 16.5" neck)... I have to end up buying shirts that fit in the neck and shoulders, then have my tailor take in the waist and arms a good amount...

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stop ordering **** from catalogs.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics