• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Washing Denim

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
So I've stopped washing my jeans often, or almost at all. Ive also noticed tearing happing much more quickly. WHile this makes no sense, because one would think washing would cause more tearing and ripping, does wearing jeans without washing them result in quicker tearing?

Could anybody shed light on this? Or any related information?

Mistral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Denim that is not washed very often is more prone to ripping/tearing than jeans that see some water every not and then. Jeans that are washed regularly are stronger, because water makes the cottonfibers stronger, tightening the weave and yarns.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NotoriousMarquis
So I've stopped washing my jeans often, or almost at all. Ive also noticed tearing happing much more quickly. WHile this makes no sense, because one would think washing would cause more tearing and ripping, does wearing jeans without washing them result in quicker tearing?

Could anybody shed light on this? Or any related information?

If the jeans you are referring to have never been washed before, the initial starch that is in the denim will cause it to tear more easily and quickly.

alexanduh

Reaction score
wash your denim mate.

Kiwi Man

Reaction score
I guess the real question comes to how often I should wash my jeans? When I was in the US, it would be once every three weeks. However, I am currently residing at South East Asia. The weather is a lot different and I tend to sweat a lot more. Even though I don't sweat that profusely in my leg areas, I still feel dirty if I don't wash my jeans after I wear them more five times.

If I go to place where I know it is dusty and not known to be the most sanitizing place, I would wash my jeans immediately after I called it a day.

Am I doing the right thing?

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
If i start washing them more, is it the beating and spinning of the machine that keeps them that way, or will soaking them in woolite be enough to let the later in and do its job to strengthen fibers.

djc

Affiliate vendor
Reaction score
Basically, when you sweat you produce bacteria that ends up on the inside of your pants - if you don't wash them this bacteria will eat away at the cotton and weaken the fibres making them a lot more prone to rips and tears. You will see that most, if not all of the Japanese denim bosses will tell you to wash your jeans often.

The whole 6 month without wash thing came in with Nudie and it just goes against what wearing your jeans is all about. Remember, at the end of the day they're pants - wear them as long as you would wear any other pants and then throw them in the wash. Washed or not they will still fade and in my opinion they'd look a lot neater without those tears.

When washing them, there are a bunch of different ways to do it. Personally, I tend to give my jeans a good soak in detergent every few weeks depending on how much I've worn them and a wash after a month or two. Again, this is depending on how they are worn - if it is the middle of summer and you're sweating more than usual then soak/wash more frequently.

tombrokaw

Reaction score
I think you should wash them.

Even if this is the wrong thing to do, fashion wise.

Good hygiene will always trump fashion and a great many other things.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So I've stopped washing my jeans often, or almost at all. Ive also noticed tearing happing much more quickly. WHile this makes no sense, because one would think washing would cause more tearing and ripping, does wearing jeans without washing them result in quicker tearing? Could anybody shed light on this? Or any related information?
it makes perfect sense to me. you need to wash your jeans fairly regularly to maintain integrity and to prevent the "that dude smells like a homeless bum that has farted 5,000 times look." you people that dont wash are sicko.

NotoriousMarquis

Reaction score
So to keep my jeans alive, can I just do a bathtub soak with soap and hang dry?

tomashi

Reaction score
dirty clothes rip easier. look at people in areas where they don't do laundry and notice all those holes

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

engteach

Reaction score
Just emailed context about the Momotaro-Context Grand Indigos to see if the guy pre-soaked. It says he hasn't washed or rinsed, but I wasn't sure if that included pre-soak or not. In any case, the reply was, "those jeans have never touched water."

Here's a link to pics for the unfamiliar:

http://www.contextclothing.com/item.php?id=2022

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
So to keep my jeans alive, can I just do a bathtub soak with soap and hang dry?

i would use a washer because it agitates/cleans the denim. i honestly do not understand this fear of using the washer. it makes no sense.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads