• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not so Merry Christmas at Alfred Sargent's...

xavier_06

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed a thread, posted earlier in the month, on here about the situation at Alfred Sargent's.

I live in Northamptonshire and have friends involved in situation...so I thought I'd give you an update.

To recap....Sargent's made 35 workers redundant with immediate effect. Some of those made redundant had served over 20 years and have helped to make Sargent's what it is.

So far none of the former employees have received any of the money they are owed. They haven't even been paid for the last two weeks of work prior to being made redundant! Originally Sargent's told them they would have to get the redundancy pay from the government. Although as Sargent's are still trading they can't approach the Government. Besides it can hardly be fair to ask the tax payers to honor the Sargent's responsibilities.

As Christmas is almost upon us, the pressure on some of the former workers is becoming immense. Some have young families and others mortgages that are now at risk as they haven't any money coming in.

On Monday (23/12) the redundant staff went to the factory to ask the directors to let them have some of the money they are owed. Inside Sargent's the director first locked himself inside his office and refused to speak to his former employees. When a reporter from the local newspaper turned up, he slipped out through the back door and was seen tearing off down the road in his luxury Mercedes 4x4. Story here....http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Re...pay.4816666.jp

The trade union are currently in the process of suing them for unfair dismissal and to recover the ex-workers redundancy pay etc.

From within the factory I have heard that the situation is dire. Apparently they have a large order for Brooks Brothers that is supposed to be delivered in the New Year, but it hasn't even been started as they haven't paid for the upper leather. This is supposed to be the case for most of the orders they have at the moment. I have also heard they are well behind on their Bowen (french) orders and G&G are being caught up in the same mess - no heels, leather etc.

I'm sorry it's a bit depressing for this time of year but spare a thought for the families involved.

As I hear more I'll post it on here....

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for giving us a glimpse at what happens when Wall Street Ponzi's with OPM (other people's money). Unfortunately, I don't think SF readers will do much about any of this (or can). They (we) have an awful lot of shoes in "rotation," so it will be a while before the imminent absence of AS is noticed on the street.

andreyb2

Reaction score
It is astonishing that Sargents treat their workers so badly...

Part of the reason why I tend to buy "made in England" goods is a hope that makers treat their workers ethically -- decent wages, no sweatshops, etc.

Obviously, after the news, this reasoning doesn't apply to Sargents anymore...

Andrey

emptym

Reaction score
Not good. I wonder if there is anything we could do.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What can we do other than either buy or not buy Sargent shoes? It seems like if we bought them, the former employees would not see the money anyways. Let us know if you hear any other news.

Leather man

Reaction score
It is an appalling way to treat your workforce and cowardly. Added to that to get out of paying redundancy pay by expecting the tax pay er to bail out the workers when in any case that cannot happen unless AS go bust is dastardly!

I realise G&G can relocate if needs be but it doesn't bode well for them in the short term. If the OP is right, and I am sure he is, G&G source some of their stuff through AS and that is really going to mess things up for them.

plotter

Reaction score
S makes shoes for Gaziano & Girling? Huh? Wtf? No. What does this G&G mean in this thread?

Mr T

Reaction score
Yes, GG refers to Gaziano and Girling.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by xavier_06
Hi,

I noticed a thread, posted earlier in the month, on here about the situation at Alfred Sargent's.

I live in Northamptonshire and have friends involved in situation...so I thought I'd give you an update.

I'm sorry it's a bit depressing for this time of year but spare a thought for the families involved.

As I hear more I'll post it on here....

Hello Xavier,

and welcome at SF.

Bad news for the workers and their families. Hopefully better times will come.

Best wishes
GN

plotter

Reaction score
I thought GG did their work independently using 400 year old salvaged machinery, capable of high waist suppression? Damn, I've lost some of my hope for the sartorial world. I've never seen a AS come near to the handcraft of a GG.

lizmasc

Reaction score
The trade union are currently in the process of suing them for unfair dismissal and to recover the ex-workers redundancy pay etc. [...]I'm sorry it's a bit depressing for this time of year but spare a thought for the families involved.

It's not only depressing but sad that they do that on a time like this because being left out with bills to pay is not a very exciting scenario
confused.gif
smiley2.gif

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by plotter
AS makes shoes for Gaziano & Girling? Huh? Wtf? No. What does this G&G mean in this thread?

I think it has been made very clear in other threads that AS do not make shoes for G&G. G&G use some of their premises, have a working relationship with them and get a few things supplied through AS - as OP says. G&G make their own shoes with their own workers and use their own grade of leathers etc. They have been working with Sargent to develop an upmarket range of AS shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads