• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not only stylish but also functional "maximum legal carry-on" bag?

name

Reaction score
1st, there is no such thing as a "maximum legal carry-on" (I just wrote it for Google's sake).

Stylish:
- Tumi (but it does not offer a lifetime warranty and experience with customer service is mixed)
- Filson, Chapman Bags UK (more classic, lifetime warranty)

Functional:
Just read this - http://www.onebag.com/bags.html
this - http://www.onebag.com/business-bags.html
this - http://www.onebag.com/leisure-bags.html
and this - http://www.onebag.com/dual-purpose-bags.html
Truly functional offerings but how stylish it is? Especially thinking of the business bag.

How To Pack It?

Including:

Click on graphics to enlarge it!

Not functional:
- Wheels
- Hard case
(See above)

Conclusion? Is style and function (according to the above) already coexist in a readily available consumer product?

Edit: obviously only soft sided bags are acceptable with regards to airline policies; you can fit the bag in the cage if it is not 110% loaded.

Last edited:

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the Patagonia. It is roomy but too floppy and unshaped if not fully loaded.

Filson and other canvas might not be the best choice. The canvas and hardware are heavy. And depending on where and with whom you fly, weight might be an issue - not to mention the personal discomfort.

I've got a few other options: mid-sized leather weekender duffel. A rectangular mid-large canvas duffel (KillSpencer). A larger stylized backpack (Cote/Ciel). Cycled through a few Bihn - very ugly bags.

I don't think there is a product that is *there* yet

MedStudent

Reaction score
I have a Tumi carry-on bag as well as a Tumi laptop bag/briefcase.

I've had the carry-on for about a year and a half now and it's worked great for me, both stylistically and functionally.

The briefcase I've had for almost 4 years now. I didn't know they had a mixed history of customer service, but fortunately I've never had to call them. Considering I beat the hell out of this bag on a daily basis and it still looks great, I'm pretty happy with their product and that's why I bought the carry-on. I plan on buying a bigger checked bag from Tumi this spring.

I'd recommend them.

sangiuseppe

Reaction score
I don't know where you live, but if you are planning to fly one of the low cost airlines in Europe, make sure you check their dimensions, which would include the handle too. I had to pay 50 euros for that damn thing...

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem with carry-ons is that anyone at the gate can say " to big, needs to be checked". So, my advice is to stay well within the limits. If you plan to fly budget airlines then stay very well within the limits. The budget carriers seem to have no flexibility or they use the oversized carry-on as a profit center.

sangiuseppe

Reaction score

The problem with carry-ons is that anyone at the gate can say " to big, needs to be checked". So, my advice is to stay well within the limits. If you plan to fly budget airlines then stay very well within the limits. The budget carriers seem to have no flexibility or they use the oversized carry-on as a profit center.

Just as a side story:
I was once at the Ryanair check-in in Ciampino (Rome) and in front of me there was an American couple on their honeymoon. They had packed enough clothes for three weeks.
The bride had decided to organize a tour of the main European cities using the low cost airline, without reading its bag policy.
You should have heard the guy scream when he found out that he had to pay 460 euro extra, and that was just for the first flight!

Trompe le Monde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The LH group (swiss, lufthansa, austrian) can be at times very uptight about these dimensional and weight policies too

name

Reaction score
Thanks for your feedback so far.

Edit to the OP: obviously only soft sided bags are acceptable with regards to airline policies; you can fit the bag in the cage if it is not 110% loaded.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by stylish? Modern? Classic? Refined? There is everything from Filson canvas and leather to black nylon to Louis Vuitton monogram canvas duffles. Can you be more specific about the look you want to achieve?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used one of these these two bags as carry ons for all trips to Europe over the last 10+ years. The canvas LL Bean duffle is for getting away to remote spots. The leather Ghurka bag (pre-sale of the company and made in USA) is for business or major city travel.

I don't take my roll-on to Europe as a carryon. I check a bag and the carryon is only for a change of clothing and valuable or personal items.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. And then, if you have some very nice leather bag, the chances of it disappearing are very high indeed.

Luggage is one place where, as much as I would love something beautiful, practicality trumps all.

BTW, that LL Bean duffel is nice, have had my eye on one for a while.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads