• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not getting a good collar roll on my MyTailor shirt (pics)

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm having a problem with my MyTailor shirt and I'm hoping that someone can give me advice for my next order.

This is the standard button-down collar from MyTailor. Oxford pinpoint fabric, 2-ply superfine, and 3.125 collar point length. What is causing the uneven roll on this shirt? It seems as if there isn't enough collar fabric to roll out evenly, and that too much of the fabric around the buttoning point is flatly attached to the shirt. Also notice how there's a lot of pulling around the front placket area. On some days it looks better than this. I wash and iron these myself.
IMG_20111130_082609-1.jpg

IMG_20120108_171510.jpg

Ideally, I want my collar to look like this (also from Mytailor). I like the even roll, only minor pulling of fabric around the buttons, and how the shirt splays out nicely.
DSC_2664.jpg

Last edited:

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bump. I'm going to see Hemrajani in San Francisco the next time he visits so I imagine he'll be able to answer my questions, but if anyone has any comments it would be appreciated.

Tailor Dan

Reaction score
Sorry, these always look awful to me. I'm English and we never have button downs really. You may see it once a month on one gent in London but that is it.

Am a tailor though so have seen these before.

Do you starch? But to me it looks like the top part of the roll is more fre and fluid in the collar you like and tougher in the first two. This may mean that over time it will ease as it loses it's rigidity or the collar lining is different in the newest two.

Ask your tailor if the collars changed in lining, style, length, erc...

Hope helped.

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/

Waymore

Reaction score
The suggested two factors can certainly be the cause, lining fabric weight and button placement. You can certainly check the placement with a ruler.
However it could also be the way you have pressed the collars and possibly starched them. Try starch and press the collar to have flat fabric with the collar popped. Then turn the collar down and only press the fold for about three or four inches at the back.

This is a continuing problem that is somewhat hit or miss in resolving.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope you are ironing your collar flat up. If not, try that to achieve a better roll when wearing. Also, it won't really matter if it is not perfect. Button down collars are casual. It is part of its charm.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry, these always look awful to me. I'm English and we never have button downs really.

I'm English as well, I've never really seen button down collars in the UK either(or China for that matter), apart from those Ben Sherman things

You may see it once a month on one gent in London but that is it.

American tourists and businessmen?

Tailor Dan

Reaction score

I'm English as well, I've never really seen button down collars in the UK either(or China for that matter), apart from those Ben Sherman things
American tourists and businessmen?

Could be.

Wrong of me to say look awful. They are though of a look that is nt my personal preference. They look fine on the thread writer above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads