Not buying outside anymore?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cliche, Feb 15, 2012.

Do you buy most of your things from SF?

1. Yes

11 vote(s)
    24.4%
  2. No

34 vote(s)
    75.6%
  1. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I have the same problem buying from here as anywhere else - sizes. The stuff sold on B&S tends to be mid-range to larger sizes (at least that's how it seems to me). I need 14.5" (max) shirt collars, 36S jackets... etc. etc. so I have to get what I can find wherever and whenever I find it - I used to mainly buy vintage stuff because you really could get sizes that were correct (i.e. a 36S really was a 36S not a vanity-sized 37 or 38). In fact, I am tending more and more towards bespoke and MTM because it's really the only way to ensure fit and avoid disappointment. Of course, we all know this, but we either can't afford it or we keep hoping that OTR will 'do'. In my case, it really won't.

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I'm generally not one to jump on the old SF/new SF layout debate, but I will agree with GoldenTribe; the switch has had a very negative impact on B&S.

TBH I wasn't even a member for that long under the old system and I still bought way more pre-switch than I have in the 6 months or so after the switch. I remember stalking the forum circa 2009-2010 and seeing unbelievable sales and huge lots of awe-inspiring stuff. Unfortunately the guys that offered the majority of these lots (Ed, Warrengardner and whusurdadi come to mind) rarely post any more, and if they do the prices and variety are nowhere near what they used to be.

While the layout changes and monetizing of the forum have definitely changed the game, I think it has a lot more to do with the changing demographics of the forum. Years ago most members were posting on B&S to get rid of stuff they bought and didn't like, never wore or got a steal on but not in their size. A lot were posting to help other members out and share the wealth. Now I feel most everyone on B&S is selling at a profit and at higher prices than before.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that B&S was ever there for charity or for straight swapping, but it seems like the old system of "Hey, you enjoy nice clothing and I have a ton of stuff I just bought wholesale and don't like, let's work something out" has been replaced by "I found Attolini at the thrift, I'm going to make a KILLING on B&S!!!!"

Just my $0.02.

3. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I went through a phase of buying a fair bit off SF. Now, basically nothing. Part of that is that I've never really adjusted to the new B&S system since the software changeover so I don't browse it anymore. But in truth, my purchases declined way before then.

I tend to buy very few items now, and most of what I do buy is through the same tailors/firms I've been using for a while. Having said that, I initially became aware of two of those regular haunts through other SF members reviewing/mentioning them over the years. Make of that what you will.

4. inter71

inter71 Well-Known Member

Agree with you!!!

I guess there is nothing wrong with buying second hand cloths, but I am not big enthusiast of this approach.

5. cliche

cliche Senior member

Well some items are brand new in this forum.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I always tell people that if they are going to buy used shoes to do with through B&S and not ebay. You have a better chance that the person you are buying from has taken care of the shoes.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, about 95% of my purchaes are through a tailor. I haven't stepped foot in a B&M store for clothes in a long time. I do shop at Leffot for shoes. I am overdo on that btw. Need to make a trip soon.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

x2 The best RTW we have is Canali. We have samuelsohn MTM though :)

9. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Even though I don't buy tons here compared to other fellows, I'm a little saddened to hear this. What can we do about it though? A petition may be?

Well, for some people, what I was told anyway, stated that it does not matter if the item was brand new with tag. If it has been purchased by a customer, it automatically falls into "second hand" category.

10. andrewgreg

andrewgreg Senior member

11. rollafan

rollafan Senior member

For some reason, I just can't get myself into buying clothes on internet where I can't return items. I have bought clothes on mr porter/barneys/etc websites and they all accept return.

I don't like to buy used clothes either. I have bought used pocket squares on B&S but that's pretty much the only thing that I'll buy used.

I'd rather go to an actual store, try the item and buy it so that I don't have to deal with shipping time, wrong size, etc, etc.. that's just me though

12. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Senior member

Why? Does it have anything to do with myterious stain or strange smell? :embar:

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

They were 5cm too small.

14. ThatGuy

ThatGuy Senior member

Brick & Mortar > Online.

99.95% of my purchases were in shops.

NIB online is not relevant for me as I want to pay and carry my goods.

15. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yes, I'm guessing it may even be the same buyer. Got offered $125 for a NWT Stark as it was "preowned". And he acted as if it wasn't even a lowball :eek:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012