• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not a Flat Earth (more findings about looks)

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

likeitaloud

Reaction score
"Lookism"...that just made me laugh. Legislation based on personal impression? What a bunch of bull.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I want to know is where this grant money is coming from.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lookism is a form of appearance discrimination. So, in essence, is racism.

Would there be a President Obama if the man, with the same natural inclinations and coloring, had an unfriendly face and a less athletic build? Would he even have become a politician?

Think of the costs to society when people aren't able to contribute as much as they could. The tricky part is discovering how to intervene early in life.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
rolleyeshugelc0.gif

EnglishGent

Reaction score
What utter **** you spout when talking about looks and politicians.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He looked better when he was younger, when he got started. And older candidates aren't expected to be 'sexy.' Also, the UK probably is not as superficial as the United States, and its political system is different. FYI, there are a slew of recent findings about looks and elections.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
He looked better when he was younger, when he got started. And older candidates aren't expected to be 'sexy.' Also, the UK probably is not as superficial as the United States, and its political system is different. FYI, there are a slew of recent findings about looks and elections.

i highly doubt the UK isnt as superficial as the states. considering london is practically the fashion capital of the world. (after paris, arguably second place.)

likeitaloud

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mensimageconsultant
Lookism is a form of appearance discrimination. So, in essence, is racism.

Would there be a President Obama if the man, with the same natural inclinations and coloring, had an unfriendly face and a less athletic build? Would he even have become a politician?

Think of the costs to society when people aren't able to contribute as much as they could. The tricky part is discovering how to intervene early in life.

...It explains how this pretty little number became the queen:

Queen_Victoria_.jpg

And there are MANY unattractive politicians. People blame something on them being ugly because they lack charisma and self respect. There is probably a fraction of a percent of people who come off unattractive even though they take good care of themselves (weight, dental, skin etc) are good talkers, dress well, socially active etc. I think this idea of lookism is bullshit, no downtown hip bars don't hire fat waitresses why should they. I know I'll never get a job in a hip gym because I am not that muscular, but I don't go and sue them. Looks are SO subjective that really if a person has the initiative to care for themselves and has something going on in their life them even though they might not have the same opportunities but they will live a perfectly normal life.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by borderline
The monarchy are not politicians.

One less point to address, thanks
smile.gif
Not that it means politicians in the UK are reliant on their looks as much as American politicians are, but indeed it's possible that Britons generally are as superficial as Americans.

In Body Consciousness, someone posted a link to a good article that has a well-written summary of looks and career advancement. (There's more valuable information on other pages.)

So combating looksism is not necessarily about regulating businesses where appearance obviously does matter. And 'beauty' is not mostly subjective, which probably is the most irritating claim repeatedly made about looks.

Why does the subject make people so angry and opposed to learning from research findings? For example, do people genuinely not know how much harder it is for those with lifelong below-average attractiveness? Then they should wonder why they don't know such individuals.

remn

Reaction score
too long a read about yet another ism.

cliffs?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads