• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

NOS leather shoes

vntg22

Reaction score
Hello all. New to the forum and my first post.

I won an auction for a pair of NOS Nettleton pebble grain long wings from ebay. The seller said that he bought them over 30 years ago. He never wore them and the shoes have been sitting in a box in his closet for decades. My concern is that without leather conditioning for all of these years, they may be apt to cracking. I'd love to hear from anyone who has had experience with purchasing NOS vintage leather shoes.

JDMills

Reaction score
I bought a pair of NOS Florsheim Longeings about a year ago. These were brand new never had any polish or conditioner put on, so the first thing I dd was put a coat of conditioner on and then only used cream polish, just starting to now use wax and noting bass happened yet! The leather is still pretty supple. So if you condition them they should be good at least from where I sit ( Maybe if the seller lives in a particularly dry hot place they might need the conditioning more?)

meister

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean them with a damp cloth then hit them (dry) with Pecards antique leather conditoner which is mainly beeswax. Let that sink in for a week and then rub off. Examine around the foot opening for weakness or dryness in the leather. If the shoes have been in a box chances are that the air has not dried them out where it happens worst to vintage shoes - around the thin leather in the foot opening. If the area is suspect get your cobbler to stitch a leather thong/piece inside the heel area around to the lacing opening. He should follow the original stitch line outside on the heel area and overstitch it so you won't see any superficial difference.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 28 31.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 8.9%