• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Northrop Grumann moving to D.C.

Gt1Nick

Reaction score
The West Coast was the place to be for defense contractors back in the 60s... Aerospace guys in particular.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gt1Nick
The West Coast was the place to be for defense contractors back in the 60s... Aerospace guys in particular.

This.

Had to be out close-ish to Edwards Air Force Base and Groom Lake (Area 51).

60786-004-F9B88357.jpg

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They already have a huge facility plus some smaller ones near the airport in Baltimore, also some in Northern Virginia. I pretty much thought they were already headquartered here as it is.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I'm kind of surprised that a contractor the size of NG isn't already HQ'd in the D.C. metro area. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
There's a lot of big government contractors that are not headquartered in the DC area, although they all have major offices there. Boeing, Raytheon, SAIC (though I heard they are moving from San Diego to DC area as well), L-3, KBR, EDS (now part of HP), and Harris are all among the largest contractors, and most of them are headquartered near the place they were founded.

Invicta

Reaction score
It mostly has to do with what particular area of the DoD the contractor is servicing at the time. As mentioned above, much of the hard aerospace defense work (designing, testing, manufacturing new airframes and weapons) is done on the west coast to have access to Vandenburg AFB, Groom Lake in NV and the radar stations on the Aluetian Islands. Also during the cold war, the most likely route for Soviet bombers to hit CONUS was to fly over the artic and attack, thus a lot of the SDI work was done on the west coast. Not to mention in California and Washington, the defense contractors have access to some of the best engineering departments in the world (Cal, Stanford, and CalTech to name a few), that's a deep talent pool.

Northern Virginia and Maryland are home to the more "soft" defense work, developing new defense software, logistics, radar and other sensors, and intel related contracts. for example, Lockheed Martin (F-22 developer/manufacturer) has it's "Skunk Works" aerospace lab out in CA but it's technology and software deveolpment is all over Southern MD and Northern VA, with their corperate HQ in Bethesda. Northrup Grumman's Electronic Systems is in Baltimore. Many of teh other contractors follow similar structures. That way their logistics divisions are near the Pentagon, the Electronic systems groups are near CIA/NSA and DARPA, and their Naval Surface divisions are close to the Naval Surface Warfare center in Maryland.

It makes sense to put the business units near their revenue streams.

cannan

Reaction score
As with other large contractors lately I'm sure the "move" is more on paper than it is physical. Just a formal change of address for the most part. They won't be up-rooting every single person and moving them to Northern VA.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when you fly stealth, you are close to everywhere.

sw20

Reaction score
Aren't General Dynamics and LockheedMartin already HQ'd in Wash suburbs?

Doubt many smart engineers from Stanford or Berkeley choose to work for aerospace/defense industry anymore....may have been true in '60s or '70s...but sharpest kids today are usu CS grads who go to either BigTech or start-ups in SiliconValley...or hedge funds in CA or NYC...not a lot of bucks or intellectual challenge working for a gvt contractor, esp when 30-something Stanford alums are some of wealthiest guys in world after starting own cos. (or being early employees in now-ancient cos. like google)

Besides, life is too short to live in a dump like Wash; anyone smart/ambitious tends to live/work in SV or Manhattan these days, both for lifestyle and to maximize career liquidity amongst the many tech or financial start-ups of more dynamic regions

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
all those firms are in rosslyn, va not dc

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20

Besides, life is too short to live in a dump like Wash; anyone smart/ambitious tends to live/work in SV or Manhattan these days, both for lifestyle and to maximize career liquidity amongst the many tech or financial start-ups of more dynamic regions

Call me crazy but I prefer DC over Silicon Valley. Manhattan is kind of in the air.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sw20
but sharpest kids today are usu CS grads who go to either BigTech or start-ups in SiliconValley...or hedge funds in CA or NYC...

I didn't go to a real high ranked college, but a lot of my friends that were CS or engineering majors in the school's honors program were recruited to big gov contractors in Orange County/LA area out of college - I knew multiple people that went to work for Raytheon, Boeing, and Lockheed.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JetBlast
Call me crazy but I prefer DC over Silicon Valley. Manhattan is kind of in the air.

Okay, I'll call you crazy.
fight[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads