Northhampton shoe factories open after christmas?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by timekeeping, Aug 28, 2004.

1. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

Fellow forum'ers,

This forum has proved to be most valuable. It has taught me so much.. Fused VS non-fused, blake stich vs goodyear welted..

My question relates to the various shoe factories in Northhampton, Endland. (Edward Green and John Lobb in particular but I am interested in Grenson and C&J as well)..

Are they open in the immediate period after Christmas, i.e. between Dec 26 and Jan 6th? What's the stock level of the factory stores at that time? I am guessing that they may be a little depleted due to the Christmas rush...

I am planning to visit London at that time and won't mind a side trip to get a few bargain pairs of shoes while watching craftsmen at work on a factory tour.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Most, if not all, shoe factories in Northampton will be closed between Christmas and New Year (or January 6th).

If you are looking for a bargain, the Sales in the retail stores will be starting right after Christmas, most likely on December 27th. (This year December 27th and 28th are actually Bank Holidays here in the UK as Christmas and Boxing Day are on a weekend. But most stores will be open and start their Sales.)

You might want to contact the stores you are interested in closer towards the end of the year and ask for the exact dates.

3. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

Mr. Stripe, thank you, as always.

Looks like I may need to alter my itinerary to just before Christmas (like 10th Dec-15 Dec sort of thing)...