Northampton haul

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MPS, Oct 17, 2004.

1. MPS

MPS Senior member

Thought I'd post a few pics of recent acquisitions from Northampton. First up, the JL Canasta. More to follow. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

Does the "R" indicate that they were rejected by the Lobb's quality control. Hard to believe that such beautiful shoes don't meet their standards. Look forward to more pics.

3. MPS

MPS Senior member

Yes, the R means that they were turfed by JL. There is a small scratch on the left toe.

4. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

What's the JL factory store stock level like (I'm uk size 9)?

I intend to make a day trip to Northhampton when I visit the UK (from Australia so it's a long way) in Nov/Dec...

On the other hand, I suppose the Edward Green factory tour itself is enough an attraction.

Any other factory stores worth visiting in that area?

5. MPS

MPS Senior member

Stocks are very low for sizes 8-10 at JL at the moment - they had a sale a few months ago. There are tons of 7's for those out there with small feet.

EG factory - you need to phone ahead and talk to Suzie Jones. She's a smart lady in her late 40's/early 50's with a rather attractive speaking voice. Visits by appointment only (they can tell you what they have in stock before you head there - it avoids wasting their, and your, time).

JL factory - has a dedicated factory shop run by Jean Lack. Great sales about twice a year. All of their seconds have very minor defects, and they sell quite a few samples.

C & J - The factory shop is open on Friday and Saturday. You can get some unusual designs there (e.g. those made for the Paris store and for the Japanese market - I have a wholecut made for the latter and will post photos of it soon).

Tricker's - Excellent shop with very friendly staff. Open 9-4.30 Monday to Friday. They also have their own parking.

6. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

I wonder what the dates of the sales are for each of these shops?

7. MPS

MPS Senior member

JL have factory sales whenever they have "enough stock" - this usually occurs twice a year. They send out postcards to those in the UK who are on their mailing list a few weeks before a sale. I don't know the sale dates for Tricker's or C&J; EG don't have factory sales.

8. timekeeping

timekeeping Well-Known Member

hmmm... Hopefully, the master craftsmen at Lobb's will make enough mistakes with size 9s to ensure a good selection by the time I get there. :)

MPS, thanks for the tip with the EG tour. I'll make sure I call in advance. A Chelsea or something wholecut will be great.

What are the prices like at the factory stores? How much below retail should I expect?

9. MPS

MPS Senior member

Expect to pay:

EG £285
    JL £125-£200
    C & J £90 (£200 for handgrades)
    Tricker's £75

10. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Such beautiful shoes. I look forward to seeing your other purchases.

11. newtrane

newtrane Senior member

These shoes are beautiful.

Could you please post the contact details of the JL and the EG shops?

Thank you very much in advance.

12. MPS

MPS Senior member

I've been in Switzerland for the last 3 days. I'll post more photos in the next few days (after I get my digital images sorted out). I'll also try taking a photo of the antique leather on the cover of a book I bought in Switzerland (which was printed and bound in 1775) I'm sure the leather lovers out there will appreciate it.

The details of the factories are:

Edward Green & Co Ltd, The Chelsea Workshops, 74 - 76 Cowper Street, Northampton, NN1 3QR, UK
    Tel: 01604 460666 Fax: 01604 460333

John Lobb & Co Ltd. Oliver St. Northampton. NN27JL, UK. Tel: 01604 715011 Fax: 01640 712762

13. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Forget the shoes (well, not really); tell us about the book.

AlanC
    Bibliophile

14. MPS

MPS Senior member

Two more pictures: JL Chelmer on the 4800 last: [​IMG] C&J handgrade wholecut. This was made for the Japanese market and is on a last that I hadn't seen before. It's reminiscent of the EG 606: [​IMG]

15. dorian

dorian Senior member

Those C&J whole-cuts are fantastic. Did they have anymore? [​IMG]