normalcy.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by thekunk07, Sep 7, 2009.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

There are always trade-offs and compromises. I was watching an interesting talk by Alain De Bottoin, about fortune and luch and achievement and all that - and one of his main arguments is how we should always view success in a specific context, all other things considered - from luck to sacrifice.

Family? That's cool. But that shouldn't rule your life in my opinion, at least as long as you don't use it as an excuse for giving up in life (which isn't personally directed at you, since you still seem more or less going somewhere)

agreed, I honestly don't have a problem with some people wo make the choice not to have families, or to neglect them, that's just not for me.
    --------------------

[/quote]

+1

2. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Enlightenment, y'allz. Join me in my qwest.

3. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Yeah, I come from the East Coast and have lots of friends who are still iBankers and making some pretty decent cash (I thought that industry was dead???) but their lives kinda suck. Work all week, no savings whatsoever, some have debt, no money stocked away in assets, drug/prostitute problems, all the stereotypes basically.

And I'm stuck here at law school that's so hierarchy obsessed it's ridiculous. I am pretty sure I loathe 95% of my classmates; whether I know them or not. Everybody thinks he/she's going to be a baller. It seems as though few people are graduating with debt and everyone it seems like drives a fucking M3. Barf. Clearly you didn't buy it yourself you dumb fucks; your parents did. Quit riding off their coattails. Anyway, my environment has just clearly shown to me what it is that I don't want to become.

I'm just happy that it happened relatively early in my life.

You're bitter, confused, and you're overthinking it.

Too much work, prostitutes, hierarchies? It's all relative. Some people love work, sometimes hookers are nice, etc. People tend to blow shit out of proportion and project their own opinions on professionas and the lives of others.

Is some Joe Schmo better because he works 40 hours a week, has a fat wife, two dumb kids, and vacations in the midwest? I don't know, but neither do you.

4. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

It's really fucking simple, seriously dude. Life is short, then you die. Make what you will of it, it's really not that important. You want money? Make money. Want to find God? Do that. Family and kids? Fine. It doesn't matter.

5. Dedalus

Dedalus Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    [​IMG]

6. MetroStyles

Too much work, prostitutes, hierarchies? It's all relative. Some people love work, sometimes hookers are nice, etc. People tend to blow shit out of proportion and project their own opinions on professionas and the lives of others.

Is some Joe Schmo better because he works 40 hours a week, has a fat wife, two dumb kids, and vacations in the midwest? I don't know, but neither do you.

Stop fighting it and accept the fact that you are a less good-looking caricature of Patrick Bateman.

7. MetroStyles

It's really fucking simple, seriously dude.

Life is short, then you die. Make what you will of it, it's really not that important.

You want money? Make money. Want to find God? Do that. Family and kids? Fine.

It doesn't matter.

Deep, bra. Write a book.

8. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

Stop fighting it and accept the fact that you are a less good-looking caricature of Patrick Bateman.

Not anymore [​IMG]

Deep, bra. Write a book.

I think I just did

9. MetroStyles

Not anymore [​IMG]

I think I just did

I thought you were a banker? Didn't I do some J-bombs with you at Joshua Tree last May?

10. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

The hardest thing is getting used to being happy with what one has and not having to keep fulfilling adolescent dreams.

They die hard, but it is incredibly liberating to let them go--or at least save them for vacations.

11. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I thought you were a banker? Didn't I do some J-bombs with you at Joshua Tree last May?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. MetroStyles

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm just kidding dawg. You know I love you. You my boy.

13. Flambeur

Flambeur Senior member

I'm just kidding dawg. You know I love you. You my boy.

cool but no homo, k?

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    These are the times, kunk, when I truly feel like the old man among you young firebrands. I realized not so very long ago that wealth and all the trappings that go along with it are "” while enjoyable "” not what makes a life, nor do they make a man. I had to sink to the bottom of a very troublesome cauldron to find my truth; you seem to have reached it with much less pain.

Congratulations.

The hardest thing is getting used to being happy with what one has and not having to keep fulfilling adolescent dreams.

embrace your life, enjoy it.

And these guys ^ speak the truth.

15. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Maybe. There's a lot of truth to what you said, despite your obvious trolling. But I think the real truth lies somewhere in between our respective sentiments.

I don't know what I want my life to be. I am still young. I've decided to enter into a certain profession, but it is unclear to me exactly where it is I want to go. All I know is what I don't want to be, and it is one of those stereotypical "ballers" that are so glorified, maybe not here on SF, but pretty much everywhere else in popular culture.