• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom tailors - or better?

Matt44

Reaction score
Hi folks - just need opinions about Nordstrom tailoring (sorry if this has been covered before).

My situation: I bought a John Varvatos overcoat through Nordstrom. It's a 44R and the fit is pretty close to what I need - but since I'm more of a 42R, the coat needs some work.

This would be a slightly more complicated "taking in" process. Right now, the coat has nice sharp shoulders (even with the extra room) and a clean line throughout. I don't want to lose that in the tailoring.

My questions: should I take this to a better local tailor (I'm in the Boston area), or can I trust the Nordstrom people? Also, what's the deal if the alterations don't turn out well? Can an item be returned after the tailoring (because it's Nordstrom work on a Nordstrom item)?

Thanks for any input!

mljones99

Reaction score
Personally I would take it to my normal tailor just because I am comfortable with him and know it would be done right and exactly how I want it. If I didn't already have a relationship with a tailor here in town, I would probably let Nordstrom do it just out of convienence.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I avoid house "tailors" like the plague. I've read some real horror stories about them.

My attempts to find an acceptable alterations tailor have been fruitless so far. I've been through about half a dozen in my area, two highly recommended, without success. I intend to try Golden Needle next...

towen

Reaction score
The only advantage to letting Nordstrom do it would be if you can return it if the tailoring doesn't work out well. So ask them about that, otherwise take it to someone you trust.

Rampart

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Orsini
I avoid house "tailors" like the plague. I've read some real horror stories about them.

Same, sometimes you'll get lucky, but finding good tailor is certainly worth the extra time it may take (and extra $$ if thats the case).

stick

Reaction score
It'd depend on the tailor I guess. One of the tailors in the San Jose area that has come highly recommended, including SF people, does tailoring for the Nordstrom here. I don't know if he'd treat jobs differently depending on whether or not you go to him directly or if he gets it from Nordstrom, but I guess it just depends on who Nordstrom's tailor is.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General rule: give your business to someone whose living depends on doing the job right.

Advantage: local tailor.

Matt44

Reaction score
Quick update . . .

Just paid a visit to the Nordstrom tailor and they were pretty helpful. They made it clear that they couldn't provide the kind of alterations I needed, but felt that the work could still be done by a skilled tailor (I never figured out why, in fact, Nordstrom couldn't do it).

Anyway, the tailor took time to indicate where on the coat the most complicated work would be needed. That was helpful.

So, all in all, I have a good impression of the Nordstrom tailoring services, but I can't comment on their actual work!

Skip87

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stick
It'd depend on the tailor I guess. One of the tailors in the San Jose area that has come highly recommended, including SF people, does tailoring for the Nordstrom here. I don't know if he'd treat jobs differently depending on whether or not you go to him directly or if he gets it from Nordstrom, but I guess it just depends on who Nordstrom's tailor is.

Who's the guy you're talking about? I'm in the SJ area.

stick

Reaction score
Manuel's, on Stevens Creek, about a block down from Valley Fair. Their sign is very low key, I drove past it three times looking for it, heh. Ricardo's also has come highly recommended, a little more so than Manuel's, but he's farther from me so I just went with Manuel. Great service there, I dropped by there on Tuesday with a suit jacket to fix, and the store's run by his family. His son was at the counter, very nice and polite, and Manuel was great too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads