• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom Lido vs Bruno Magli Maioco Black beginner Captoe

Which captoe is best for college student beginning work in a year?

• Bruno Magli "Maioco"

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • John W. Nordstron "Lido"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Allen Edmonds "Park Avenue"

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Other, Please Specify

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Sponge

Reaction score
Hi, I am a college student and I need a nicer dress shoe for interviews/work. Please help me decide between the John W. Nordstrom ($175) and BM Maioco ($280). Or offer any insight on other black captoes around the same price range. I already purchased a pair of Park Avenues but returned them because I wasn’t a big fan of the short captoe, conservative style and shorter heel. (Tried on 9C and 9D, the 9C lacing opening wouldn’t close and the 9Ds were too loose and uncomfortable)

From research it seems like the 2 shoes I found are both full grain leather and will wear a lot faster than the park avenues. But will the Nordstrom Captoes wear faster than the BM Maioco? Does the quality of the Maioco justify the additional $100? What is a realistic life expectancy of these 2 shoes?

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/john-w-nordstrom-lido-oxford/3167582

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bruno-m...Search&fashionColor=Black+Calf&resultback=104

I know there are a few similar threads here, but none had enough info to base my decision on. Thanks!

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for that price, can't go wrong with the nordstrom brand......

Sponge

Reaction score
for that price, can't go wrong with the nordstrom brand......
The only thing I have against it is that I have to pay full retail. Any comments on the difference in quality of Nordstrom brand vs Bruno Magli?

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I read somewhere on this site that the Nordstrom house brand shoes are all corrected grain, if that matters to you. For $180 retail, that sounds right to me.

thewral

Reaction score
the 9C lacing opening wouldn’t close

I was under the impression that laces that entirely "close" are often too big for your foot (and that there should be a gap in shoes with proper fit).

Of the three choices, I'd go with the Park Aves. What industry are you interviewing for (e.g., they're wildly popular in banking).

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The only thing I have against it is that I have to pay full retail. Any comments on the difference in quality of Nordstrom brand vs Bruno Magli?

Think of it this way:

if there is ever a problem with your Nordstrom brand shoes, they will do the needful to fix or replace the shoes. Can't say they will go to the same lengths on a 3rd party brand - leaving you stuck with the problem. In this scenario, paying full retail is like buying insurance to go along with your purchase.

Although Nordys is very good with their customer service, there are limits to what they will do.

I hope this helps.

Sponge

Reaction score
I was under the impression that laces that entirely "close" are often too big for your foot (and that there should be a gap in shoes with proper fit).

Of the three choices, I'd go with the Park Aves. What industry are you interviewing for (e.g., they're wildly popular in banking).

Yes, I will be interviewing for banking. Actually I am at a bank now as a summer, the team of analysts seem to have the same consensus that the park avenues, which I wore in office for a week, were too stubby and old fashion
I thought I read somewhere on this site that the Nordstrom house brand shoes are all corrected grain, if that matters to you. For $180 retail, that sounds right to me.

Can anyone confirm that they are corrected grain? There is little information about this model specifically. If they are corrected grain, then the obvious choice would be the Bruno Magli.

And regarding Nordstrom customer service, can I really go back to Nordstroms in a couple of years and tell them the leather on my shoes are cracking? Good idea to rotate between these two models or are they too similar.

thewral

Reaction score
And regarding Nordstrom customer service, can I really go back to Nordstroms in a couple of years and tell them the leather on my shoes are cracking? Good idea to rotate between these two models or are they too similar.

This is just my opinion, but if you can get 2-3 years worth of wear out of $170 shoes, then you sort of got what you've paid for. To more directly answer your question--Nordstrom supposedly has a "no questions asked" return policy. I've always approached this on the honor system (e.g., if I've beat the hell out of/got good use out of something, I won't return it... but I won't feel bad if I/fiance buys a pair of shoes and it breaks in a couple of months).

The other thing to consider is that you'll probably (at least if you continue in banking, and based on my experience) be in a totally different financial situation (i.e., college student vs. 2nd year analyst) two years down the road. I'm not saying to go hog-wild (or even that this point influences your current decision), but just something to consider.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads