Nordstrom house brand?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by enjay, Jul 24, 2013.

1. enjay

enjay Active Member

Couldn't find much info via searching or Google. Can anyone comment on Nordstrom's house brand of blazers? I'm eyeing one in the marketplace that I really like, but my instincts tell me it it is going to be cut like a burlap sack. The material itself is really nice (Loro Piana cashmere), but beyond the normal measurements I'm not really sure how to determine whether something is cut more modern or "traditional" without actually trying it on.

2. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

Weren't they made by Southwick a while back?

3. enjay

enjay Active Member

That sounds familiar although the seller made no mention of any "Southwick for Nordstrom". I suppose it's possible they didn't use anything like that? I'll look into Southwicks fit though. I may just take the chance since the cost is low and I could probably recoupe it somehow. Thanks for the response.

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

John W Nordstrom Signature line is made by Southwick and decent quality. The regular line John W Nordstrom sport coats are made overseas and look cheap.

5. enjay

enjay Active Member

Ah gotcha. I guess I need to get more info. Can something made with Loro piana cashmere look bad? I mean the material itself, not the fit. I was under the impression it's expensive stuff.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  6. mhdena

mhdena Senior member

John W Nordstrom Signature is the label you want for shirts, jackets, coats etc.

7. ats200

ats200 Active Member

slightly off topic but can anyone weigh in on the Nordstrom shoes, they're branded as "Calibrate?" They've got a pair of patent leather lace ups that seem somewhat reasonable.

8. enjay

enjay Active Member

I don't have any need for patent leather shoes but I don't like the shape of those personally and I believe a true Oxford is preferable for black tie and such. Could be wrong. Those are also most likely glued, though by definition I guess you wouldn't be wearing this shoe a ton. Might want to check the AE shoe bank I feel like I've seen patent leather shoes under 200 there.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Two big issues with these:

1) Rubber soles
    2) They are derbys, not oxfords

10. ats200

ats200 Active Member

Thank you! I'm not very familiar with what to look for in shoes obviously.

I'm putting together a tux over time so as not to take on the whole expense at once. These looked like a good value, and I suppose I don't mind a rubber sole if it cuts costs a bit. I never realized I was looking at different styles beteween derbys and oxfords.

11. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

as far as I remember those shoes were shit...

12. chocsosa

chocsosa Senior member

I recently bought a tweed jacket from Nordstrom.. same made by southwick jacket..I had to size down, but it had higher armholes and nice soft shoulders when it actually fit.. and I believe it's half canvassed..the only thing I did not like as much is that the button stance was a little high though..

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I agree with everything you said. I've picked up two JWN Signature jackets from the Rack in the $150-250 range and am happy with the quality. Definitely half canvassed as one of the two is unlined and the canvas is visible.

14. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I think JRD had a Nordstrom SC on sale a while back with LP cloth. It looked awesome.

15. enjay

enjay Active Member

I don't know what/who JRD is but this one does look quite nice. For the cost I may just take the risk.