1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nordic Sweaters - opinions and where to buy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TauKappaEpsilon, Nov 7, 2012.

1. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

I want to get a few nordic sweaters (like the authentic Norwegian sweaters) but I don't know where to get them. I found a company called Dale of Norway but they have limited selection and they are very expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what are you opinions on these sweaters for a casual weekend/apres ski inspired look?

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

LL Bean's Norwegian sweaters are made in Norway...

3. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

Already have one, thank you though.

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Google is your friend. "Norwegian sweaters". :)

First hit...
    http://www.norwegiansweaters.com/
    They can be rather expensive because they're made in Norway, and not SE Asia.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dale of Norway has a huge selection. They are very heavy and woven to last a lifetime. These were originally designed to be worn while skiing or fishing in the North Atlantic.

6. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would avoid the models with the pewter hooks that some have instead of buttons on cardigans or split neck. I think the metal hooks get in the way and can snag.

8. Fueco

Fueco Senior member

Dale Of Norway's sweaters are the best I've ever seen.

I found one in a thrift shop early this year and sold it for far too little on Ebay. I wish I had that one back!

The one I had was one of their windstopper short-zip pullovers. It was far too warm for my part of California.

9. ravn

ravn Active Member

I can recomend Dale. They struggled for several years but in 2010/11 they finally where able to break even for the first time in almost 10 years. They struggled a long time since their managment wanted the production to stay in Norway, while other brands got a competive edge since they moved production abroad. Now they are back on track. Theese sweaters last a liftime if taken good care of. And regarding skiing, Dale is official supplyer to the Norwegian Ski Federation.

Or... a place like "Den Norske Husfliden" have a store in downtown Oslo where they occasionally sell hand knitted sweaters knitted in house for their yarn department. Page is only in Norwegian but they speak/write in English if you contact them.
    http://www.dennorskehusfliden.no/?aid=9098345

This page translate anything you need to know (alomost :)) about knitting if you want to make a special order or comunicate with a store.
    http://www.strikkeoppskrift.com/engelske-ord-og-uttrykk

Some options are:
    Buy something cheap and not made in Norway, could still be good quality. Cheap

Order direct from a factory like Dale or a smaler factory located in Norway. Expensive

In House hand knitted in a smal factory or from a "large" store like Husfliden. Very Expensive

10. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

The models that have pewter hooks traditionally have embroidered edges to the sweater so it's rather difficult to catch the wool. I think they look much better, and not just because they are traditional.

11. MTB-85

MTB-85 Well-Known Member

12. House

House Well-Known Member

http://www.nordicstore-wool.com/icelandic_mens_wool_sweaters_116_ct.htm

13. amdcous

amdcous New Member

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014