Norcal's $1000 PC Build. Please Do Enter

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by NorCal, Jan 17, 2012.

1. furo

furo Senior member

Doesn't look too shabby

Here's what I got for comparison, I think you sent me a PM a while back...

[​IMG]

2. otc

otc Senior member

You really shouldn't have to buy any cables...they should all come with the motherboard (and non-OEM drives usually come with them too).

I don't think I have ever bought an internal computer cable. (Other than the time I ordered a round PATA cable back before SATA existed....but that was a luxury item and I could have just used the ribbon cable that came with the mobo)

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Yeah, I assume I'll just go to Radioshack if I need anything. I have a OEM item in there so I might. Also I would imagine I will want a really long ethernet cable to connect the whole thing to the internet.

4. otc

otc Senior member

Well for that you almost have to go to monoprice (or I suppose somewhere like ebay).

I have some insane ethernet cable that I bought back in college for dirt cheap...we had to run ethernet from our apartment where the internet came in to the apartment on the other side of the stairway landing so the xbox could stream video with XBMC (we shared 2 units on the top floor of the building and the TV and couch were in the girls' apartment) and it had to edge around the doorframes and shit so that it never crossed the open floor. Thing would have been something ridiculous like $75-100 at any brick and mortar shop in town.

5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

i dunno how young your kid is but you should have him build it anyways. or at least do it together so he learns about it himself

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

he's 11 and we will be building it together. I figure it will be a good learning experience for both of us. HTPC is next.

7. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This is a great idea.

The aftermarket CPU Cooler should have thermal interface. My suggestion for the 212+ is the apply the interface to the bottom of the cooler since there are some crevices where the heatpipes meet the base, and then spread and smooth to a THIN layer with an old (clean with mineral spirits or rubbing alcohol) credit card. There are videos on how to do this properly.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

8. furo

furo Senior member

Yeah this was the only thing that I didn't do the best on when I built my pc. I spread the thermal paste with my thumb. Oh well...

9. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I've seen a video but how tacky is the paste? will it run much and do I let it dry at all before sticking it on the CPU?

I just got my case and that thing is HUGE!! seriously I could fit a small child inside. Actually pretty excited. Def a new challenge.

10. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

Thermal paste usually has the consistency of toothpaste. You wont be able to let it dry, it usually takes 24 hours to solidify (if ever) under the heat of a running CPU.

11. skitlets

skitlets Senior member

I prefer the riceball and smush method. Just place a little bit of paste, about the size of a rice grain, on the cpu. Put the cooler on, rotate, lock in.

If the cooler comes with a heating pad instead of paste, do not use. Those things are awful. If you mess up and need to clean, use alcohol and a coffee filter or lens tissue. Don't want to leave lint around.

12. furo

furo Senior member

Just remember to ground yourself to the case while doing your build, and your kid too

A lot of folks use a grounding strap on the wrist, but it isn't necessary ... just gotta keep a hand on the case and you're good to go

13. yjeezle

yjeezle Senior member

i did this.

oh... and be sure you get the wires connected properly (/captain obvious)... or you'll fry your mobo

14. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

The grain of rice method works only for perfectly flat heatsink bases. The Hyper 212 has grooves where the heatpipe meets the actual base (allowing the heatpipe to come in direct contact with the CPU heat spreader). Therefore he must spread the thermal interface across the whole base with a credit card, VERY thinly, before attaching in order to ensure that everything is in contact.

[​IMG]

15. furo

furo Senior member

That's why I went with the Zalman pictured below, no grooves to worry about:

[​IMG]

Here's what my pc looked like during the final stages of my build, prior to my rearranging some wires for better airflow:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012