• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob shoe question

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I know I'm a noob, so I apologize and thank anyone who will help me in advance. I've looked around a bit, but haven't found a specific answer for this question, yet. I am also poor and about to be poorer if I have kids in the near future, so value matters.

I am looking for a new pair of shoes to wear for my wedding. I will be in a black suit, not a tux, but was thinking of getting something more formal than what I already have (Florsheim Kenmoor or something similar), possibly something that I might wear with a tux, should the occasion arise (if there is a style that versatile). Would the Florsheim Lexington captoe be an acceptable choice in the $100 price range? What other brands should I look at in that price range? If it matters, I live in SC, USA.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tennesseean_87
Would the Florsheim Lexington captoe be an acceptable choice in the $100 price range?
Googling for 'Florsheim Lexington' comes up with some quite varied results. If they look like this:
flors57154481jb.jpg
Then they look quite reasonable, and are probably as good as anything in that price-range. On the other hand, if they look like this:
0900631b817e7d96mtif.jpg
Then avoid at all costs.

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The $100 price range is going to make you sad. I would try to score some fair but used shoes on ebay if you have time for it. If you can step it up a bit a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in black will look good (and certainly better than the Lexingtons) and will be something you can wear many times in the future.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A plain black calf captoe oxford with single stitching will work well with a tuxedo if highly polished. If you can avoid it don't wear a black suit to your wedding: mid-grey is best (more traditional for a wedding and more versatile for future wearing).

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
These are what I was thinking about--they look like the ones recommended above. I will probably browse around a bit before I pull the trigger to see if I can get something better on eBay. At what sort of stores might I try on AE shoes to make sure they fit well before hitting up eBay? The nearest places I might look are in Charleston and Savannah.

I've already got a gray suit, and the bride says I look great in black, so I'm not sure I can change that one at this date. Maybe if I'd gotten on here sooner...

Thanks for the recommendations and advice! I appreciate any more if it comes along!

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These the bride says I look great in black, so I'm not sure I can change that one at this date. Maybe if I'd gotten on here sooner...

How does someone look great in black? It's like "the black really brings out the colour in your eyes".
plain.gif

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are what I was thinking about--they look like the ones recommended above. I will probably browse around a bit before I pull the trigger to see if I can get something better on eBay. At what sort of stores might I try on AE shoes to make sure they fit well before hitting up eBay? The nearest places I might look are in Charleston and Savannah.

I've already got a gray suit, and the bride says I look great in black, so I'm not sure I can change that one at this date. Maybe if I'd gotten on here sooner...

Thanks for the recommendations and advice! I appreciate any more if it comes along!

Welcome to Styleforum
Just a heads up..you've come to the right place for advice, but you've also come to a forum that has a lot of super-rich members that would love for you to have the highest quality known to man.
If I am reading you right, you just need a quick fix for your wedding and don't usually dress up.
If that is the case, just buy the Florsheim Lexingtons you linked to.
If, on the other hand, you want in a shoe, something more elegant and enduring,
go for a pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.
The boys here will link you to a pair for a good price.

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
Thanks again. I don't have as much opportunity to dress up as I would like (blue collar work for another year before seminary) but The Lord's Day comes once a week and I like to show Him some respect by dressing my best. I'll look into some AE; I like having quality things that I know will last. The store locator posted above says there are a few places in Charleston that carry them, so I may try on a pair when I go to pick up our rings from the jeweler. Unless there are any other brand/model recs I think you all have given me everything I need to know!

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
you just need a quick fix for your wedding
Isn't a wedding supposed to be one of the biggest days of one's life? Don't you want it to be as perfect as possible? Is it really the time for a 'quick fix' of any kind?

sobecane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
Googling for 'Florsheim Lexington' comes up with some quite varied results.

If they look like this:
flors57154481jb.jpg

Then they look quite reasonable, and are probably as good as anything in that price-range.

On the other hand, if they look like this:
0900631b817e7d96mtif.jpg

Then avoid at all costs.

Sorry to bump an old thread but I ordered these online thinking they were going to look like the top pair and instead I got delivered the bottom! Couldn't return fast enough. Do you think there are 2 different versions of this shoe made?

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sobecane
Sorry to bump an old thread but I ordered these online thinking they were going to look like the top pair and instead I got delivered the bottom! Couldn't return fast enough. Do you think there are 2 different versions of this shoe made?

The toe box is completely different, so they are 2 separate type of shoes and not just color/leather variations.

sobecane

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JamesX
The toe box is completely different, so they are 2 separate type of shoes and not just color/leather variations.

where can one find the top pair? From Florsheim's website it shows they have only 1 type of Lexington cap toe so I would assume it to be the cheaper shiney version.

JamesX

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sobecane
where can one find the top pair? From Florsheim's website it shows they have only 1 type of Lexington cap toe so I would assume it to be the cheaper shiney version.
Not sure if this is what you are looking for. It looks like the top shoe pictured http://www.buy.com/prod/men-s-florsh...206933756.html But they only have size 10 in black. It is from a quick google. You can probably find a good vendor by using the "Shopping" search built into Google. Not sure if you must have a captoe, but here is a link for the plain toe version http://www.shoebuy.com/florsheim-lex...-_-none-_-none The shoe looks bad, but it is cheap. Not sure if you are familiar with width-sizing, so be sure to read the vendor's return policy before buying. The links in this reply are random search results. I have never purchased from them before, though Buy.com is reputable.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some experience in the $100 range, but i regret to say they are mostly all horror stories. Johnston & Murphy Cole Haan, Ecco being the better ones. They all have their flaws, recently upgraded to Allen Edmonds, Park Avenue to start. I would hate to refer anything less than AE, seeing as u are on this forum, u care about such things. So get the AEs and be happy friend
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads