• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob question. What to do?

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So when I was in NY I found an Isaia Gianluca orphan or SC that I purchased and wear as an SC. I found it at Ina so its a used jacket but seemed to be in stellar condition. Its a heavy wool Grey chalk stripe 3/2 roll with ticket pocket, horn buttons, working button holes etc.

This was in my pre-SF days and I didn't look closely enough at the jacket. The sleeves are too short and I figured I could lengthen then but upon closer inspection it seems as though there has been some wear around the cuff which could leave a slightly visible line if the jacket was altered.

I love the jacket, its far and away the nicest piece of clothing I own. IMO it fits perfect everywhere else (I have a slight button pull in the pic due to having just eaten dinner). Whats a poor, young man to do? Wear it short, lengthen it or try to get out and get my money back?

I hesitate to sell it because I love it so...

Don't be too harsh on the fit please, I am a newbie

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to say it; it looks orphaned, my friend.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with less than 75 posts should be treated gently. As you are only on post 10 you are entitled to 65 more mistakes. After that...well lets leave it as a suprise.
The fit of the jacket is fine so do nothing further with it.
If your interest is to dress better, then accept that an orphaned suit jacket, especially a pin-striped or chalk-striped one can never be properly matched and taken seriously. No matter how you may try, the pants you try to match with it will never look right.
Therefore, if you insist on wearing this jacket further, you'll have to take a completely different strategy and try contrast.
Examples: Denim in tan, blue or even green. Yellow (if you dare) or Nantucket Red pants will also contrast nicely.
A button-down collared shirt and wild pocket square may work. You'll need to experiment and post photos of the experiments.
What you want to do is play down this jacket so it acts like a sport coat. A Tattersal shirt would be fun with it.
If you have the energy, lay out a dozen shirts and pants with colour on your bed and take a photo. We'll make suggestions from there.
Lay out your shoes on the floor, both black and brown. take a photo as well. Again, we can make a suggestion or two to get you started.
You could even wear sneakers with this jacket and the shirt and pants guidelines I have given.
You could wear a sweater vest or light coloured waistcoat with this jacket too. Be playful with the combos and it may work.
Post lots and lots of photos as you go. Good luck amigo.

Last edited:

greyinla

Reaction score
Hate to say it; it looks orphaned, my friend.

^Sorry, this. But you are ahead of the game in that, aside from the sleeves, you now have a good sense of a cut, measurements, and brand that work for you. That's a good place to start.

Last edited:

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone with less than 75 posts should be treated gently. As you are only on post 10 you are entitled to 65 more mistakes. After that...well lets leave it as a suprise.
The fit of the jacket is fine so do nothing further with it.
If your interest is to dress better, then accept that an orphaned suit jacket, especially a pin-striped or chalk-striped one can never be properly matched and taken seriously. No matter how you may try, the pants you try to match with it will never look right.
Therefore, if you insist on wearing this jacket further, you'll have to take a completely different strategy and try contrast.
Examples: Denim in tan, blue or even green. Yellow (if you dare) or Nantucket Red pants will also contrast nicely.
A button-down collared shirt and wild pocket square may work. You'll need to experiment and post photos of the experiments.
What you want to do is play down this jacket so it acts like a sport coat. A Tattersal shirt would be fun with it.
If you have the energy, lay out a dozen shirts and pants with colour on your bed and take a photo. We'll make suggestions from there.
Lay out your shoes on the floor, both black and brown. take a photo as well. Again, we can make a suggestion or two to get you started.
You could even wear sneakers with this jacket and the shirt and pants guidelines I have given.
You could wear a sweater vest or light coloured waistcoat with this jacket too. Be playful with the combos and it may work.
Post lots and lots of photos as you go. Good luck amigo.

Quote:
I'm in agreement. You're off to a good start, MZ.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So when I was in NY I found an Isaia Gianluca orphan or SC that I purchased and wear as an SC. I found it at Ina so its a used jacket but seemed to be in stellar condition. Its a heavy wool Grey chalk stripe  3/2 roll with ticket pocket, horn buttons, working button holes etc.

This was in my pre-SF days and I didn't look closely enough at the jacket. The sleeves are too short and I figured I could lengthen then but upon closer inspection it seems as though there has been some wear around the cuff which could leave a slightly visible line if the jacket was altered.

I love the jacket, its far and away the nicest piece of clothing I own. IMO it fits perfect everywhere else (I have a slight button pull in the pic due to having just eaten dinner).
Whats a poor, young man to do?
Wear it short, lengthen it or try to get out and get my money back?

I hesitate to sell it because I love it so...

Don't be too harsh on the fit please, I am a newbie

350x622px-LL-2ddcce12_2012-04-09_22-45-42_415.jpeg

350x622px-LL-7a2a2be3_2012-04-09_22-45-32_109.jpeg

Measure it and then troll the internet for a similarly sized suit. Sorted.

GucciKid

Reaction score
Yes, fit is nice but sorry to say if you wear it without the matching pants you'll look like a fool.

MZhammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First of all let me thank everyone for all of the responses; they were all respectful and helpful, offering insight and real suggestions. Quite a nice welcome to SF!

Secondly, I did not mention in the original post but I probably should have, I have not attempted to wear it with any dress pants or try to find a match to it. Rather, I always pair it with dark jeans and use it exclusively as a casual blazer for after work drinks or such. The picture isn't the greatest quality but those are actually dark jeans and in person its fairly evident.

Is it acceptable to use an orphan like this?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to MOL, he knows the business. I would personally change the buttons to some dark brown horn to make it look less orphaned, and use it as a beater jacket on the town etc.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

First of all let me thank everyone for all of the responses; they were all respectful and helpful, offering insight and real suggestions. Quite a nice welcome to SF!

Secondly, I did not mention in the original post but I probably should have, I have not attempted to wear it with any dress pants or try to find a match to it. Rather, I always pair it with dark jeans and use it exclusively as a casual blazer for after work drinks or such. The picture isn't the greatest quality but those are actually dark jeans and in person its fairly evident.

Is it acceptable to use an orphan like this?

totally

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads