• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob needs assistance with shoes

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a charcoal suit that I need to buy shoes for for this weekend. I'm thinking about buying shoes from Nordstrom Rack. From what I read, AE is a good bang-for-your-buck shoe. I'm 5'9 and a pretty slim build. What color and style shoe would you recommend. I'd like to keep the price under $150, which isn't hard for an outlet. I'm not super crazy about being on top of the latest trends so a classic will work. Thanks!

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quite frankly, I have never ever seen a decent shoe in my size at Nordstrom Rack. They are all ugly. Can't help you, really.

I did get a nice pair of AE for ~230 from Nordstrom the store a while ago.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the regular Nordstrom will have a better selection of $150 shoes than will any rack.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are no good shoes < $150. That said, buy something mid-dark brown with leather soles, that looks long and slim rather than short and fat, not too square and not too round, sole not too thin and not too thick.

Like these:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/1882.php

Edit: I would cry if I found myself in this situation.

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
quick question...i want to order a pair of the loake blackfriars..

i live in the states

the price before shipping is 125 gbp...

how much do you think they would tap on in fees for me being out of the country??

gaseousclay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Quite frankly, I have never ever seen a decent shoe in my size at Nordstrom Rack. They are all ugly. Can't help you, really.

agreed. to make matters worse, when I was at Nordstrom Rack a few days ago, I saw some guy trying on shoes without socks. I don't know what's wrong with people these days. you'd think a little common sense would go a long way but apparently some people think it's okay to put their nasty dried up feet into every other shoe. i'll never buy shoes from Nordstrom Rack

Grenadier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheBlackBruceWayne
quick question...i want to order a pair of the loake blackfriars..

i live in the states

the price before shipping is 125 gbp...

how much do you think they would tap on in fees for me being out of the country??

Call your bank and ask - also remember that you pay the price less VAT. You can also order those from www.herringshoes.co.uk and if you send them a separate e-mail telling them you're an Ask Andy member, get a free pair of shoe trees, which is a nice deal.

TheBlackBruceWayne

Reaction score
Originally Posted by azlawstudent
Call your bank and ask - also remember that you pay the price less VAT. You can also order those from www.herringshoes.co.uk and if you send them a separate e-mail telling them you're an Ask Andy member, get a free pair of shoe trees, which is a nice deal.
thanks! yeah i just did a currency converter on visa plus my banks percentage.. HMmmmmmmm....things just got a little interesting grand total on herring 147 grand total on pediwear 151 pediwear order includes shoe trees (they charge extra for shipping) herring will include shoe trees if i email them... i guess the next thing would be as to which one is more reliable/faster...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen plenty of perfectly acceptable $150 AEs at the rack. other okay brands too like Magnanni

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
There are no good shoes < $150. That said, buy something mid-dark brown with leather soles, that looks long and slim rather than short and fat, not too square and not too round, sole not too thin and not too thick.

Like these:

http://www.pediwear.co.uk/loake/products/1882.php

Edit: I would cry if I found myself in this situation.

I kop'd these BNIB for $150 from da Bay. I've had them for a couple years and they're about ready for a resole but I'll keep them for a long time.

IMG_0110.jpg

Grenson Rose. They're as nice as my C&J handgrades, Aldens, etc.

Reaction score
Thank you all for giving me your opinions!

The Nordstrom Rack here actually has a good selection of AEs, so if I do get lucky, what are some good styles to look out for. Hopefully no one stuck their funky feet in 'em.

Believe me, if I had the money, I'd get nice, high-quality stuff. Since I'm going to be a starving student, I'm trying to keep my finances in order.

I did a search on Glenson Rose and I didn't find anything on eBay. I'm assuming that's what he meant by "da Bay."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads