• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob in need of shoe advice

blackers92

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to Styleforum. I have constantly browsed through it and to be honest have been to scared to create an account. I was hesitant to create a new thread because I know people prefer new members to search (which I have) but I just need help on my problem. Now I am 6'6 and about 95 kgs, quite large and athletic (I found a thread for tall skinny people but this did not help me) , my body is well proportioned so I don't seem to have that much of a problem finding clothes that fit well. I am only 17 so my wardrobe is quite limited, I have a pair of Nudie Thin Finns, a few Polo Ralph, Tommy Hilfiger and Country Road shirts, basic plain tees, a pair of desert boots, a pair of more formal shoes (square toe though cringe), a pair of black chucks (i wear everywhere), a pair of Ray Ban 3025 aviators and my Oris BC3 Automatic Watch.

My main question is, I need a more dressy type of shoe that I can wear out, I know there are millions of threads answering this question but as I am taller then most and my jeans dont finish at the sole of my shoes so I need a higher cut. I know people will recommend boots (I will invest in some Red Wing GTs next year going into winter) but I want something more subtle

Hopefully I will get some helpful answers

pronxs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
grenson kirk? low cut but elongated toe so shd be good for tall ppl like you.
grenson-kirk-laceup.jpg
and get japanese denim, which usually have 36-38 inches inseam.

blackers92

Reaction score
I really like them but I think they may be a little too low cut for my jeans
confused.gif

something similar to that style but higher cut, is there such a shoe?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blackers92
confused.gif

A chukka boot, maybe?

KitAkira

Wait! Wait! I gots an opinion!
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
There is a Shoes and Boots thread for a reason.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to Styleforum. I have constantly browsed through it and to be honest have been to scared to create an account. I was hesitant to create a new thread because I know people prefer new members to search (which I have) but I just need help on my problem. Now I am 6'6 and about 95 kgs, quite large and athletic (I found a thread for tall skinny people but this did not help me) , my body is well proportioned so I don't seem to have that much of a problem finding clothes that fit well. I am only 17 so my wardrobe is quite limited, I have a pair of Nudie Thin Finns, a few Polo Ralph, Tommy Hilfiger and Country Road shirts, basic plain tees, a pair of desert boots, a pair of more formal shoes (square toe though cringe), a pair of black chucks (i wear everywhere), a pair of Ray Ban 3025 aviators and my Oris BC3 Automatic Watch.

My main question is, I need a more dressy type of shoe that I can wear out, I know there are millions of threads answering this question but as I am taller then most and my jeans dont finish at the sole of my shoes so I need a higher cut. I know people will recommend boots (I will invest in some Red Wing GTs next year going into winter) but I want something more subtle

Hopefully I will get some helpful answers

hey black...are you special? does your mom say your a special child? or are you a little marsupialed? whichever you are...THERE IS A THREAD FOR QUESTIONS SUCH AS THIS!

blackers92

Reaction score
I am not marsupialed and no my mother doesn't call me special because I don't have one.

You should think twice before posting such inconsiderate and juvenile things, you may think you are some pretentious fashionista but you are probably just another lame internet warrior.

I am new as you can obviously tell, and the majority of other forums I am apart of have moderators that can move threads if they are in the wrong place. I presumed this one would be the same obviously I have mistaken. If you get so frustrated about people posting threads in the wrong sections on a public online forum when you are simply just another member you should probably get help

I appreciate the serious responses from novayguy and pronxs

yodawg

Reaction score
confused.gif

look at italian shoes/ brands maybe santoni or something similar. some people would call them chukka or desert boots but the italian versions weren't so similar to them IMO. they were a bit more dressed up w/ leather soles and a little lower than regular chukkas/ desert boots but still not as low as those grensons. you just have to watch out for the pointy ones as the styling tends towards those. clarks though make the classic ones if that's what you're looking for.
ships-clarks-desert-boots-01.jpg
i prefer the italian versions though even if some of the toe shapes are atrocious.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
op already has desert boots. i'd recommend something like the vanishing elephant ferris boot:
40993_1.jpg
the suede/leather bottom sets it apart from the crepe sole. also similar is the trevor boot from thorocraft:
spring2010_trevor_black_01.jpg

jay3429

Reaction score
I am new as you can obviously tell, and the majority of other forums I am apart of have moderators that can move threads if they are in the wrong place. I presumed this one would be the same obviously I have mistaken. If you get so frustrated about people posting threads in the wrong sections on a public online forum when you are simply just another member you should probably get help I appreciate the serious responses from novayguy and pronxs
SF isn't a normal forum. It's more like a Colosseum where the people decide the fate of several idiots and the emperor, i.e. the Mods, come down on them like a ******* hammer. Or better yet its more like a stoning where the public beats up on a single person and whatever is left over, the mods clean up.

burningbright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jay3429
SF isn't a normal forum. It's more like a Colosseum where the people decide the fate of several idiots and the emperor, i.e. the Mods, come down on them like a ******* hammer. Or better yet its more like a stoning where the public beats up on a single person and whatever is left over, the mods clean up.

FTW

To actually answer your question, have you looked at dry denim such as Samurai that have 39 inch inseams? Granted, it's shrink to fit but even then you're looking at 36 inseam post soak, and that's if you wanted to soak them. I'd start from the pants end of things and not the shoes. If you need higher shoes because your pants are too short, the problem isn't finding higher shoes, it's finding pants that are long enough. The shoe problem will work itself out when that's taken care of. As for chinos and dress pants etc., just go where you always go for tall specialty clothing.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
not sure if loafers are too low-cut for your pants problem, but I highly recommend these:

they look infinitely better in person and i can't even count how many times i've been complimented on them. one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes i've ever worn too.

1_73108_FS.JPG

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads