• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-traditional, non "9-to-5" ways of earning a living.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
Thank you.
Your post saved me from going on a little bit of a rant.

Okay, I get that it's a deduction, but couldn't the other tax-free perks that small business enjoy help to offset the post-deduction cost of the "second half" of the self-employment tax?

reactmma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Here's the thing, for 99% of people who strike out on their own, they will be doing exactly the same thing as when they were employed. It's mostly not some magically different type of work.

Yes, you can make more money. But you can also lose a lot. You keep your own hours, but you have no control over the ebb and flow of clients and revenue. Defenitely less security. Paying for benefits is a *****.

nice way to put it!

Eponym

Reaction score
Originally Posted by replicawatchesuks
What are some of the non-office ways members on this forum make a buck? It seems like there are much more interesting ways of making a living than just "working for the man."

You could make replica watches. Seems interesting enough.

L.R.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've chosen a career as a spam bot. It's not great, but in my free time I've developed something that can pass for sentience in DT or CE.

CJones

Reaction score
Rock 'n' Roll.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting back in to gig performances. Would need to move to a more economically viable area though if I get serious. The people in my performance niche who are actually successful is a) a tiny number of people b) people who have strong passive revenue streams, especially from within the industry (trade publications, selling scripts and coaching) and perhaps most discouragingly c) people who have done very well in other careers first or concurrently.

CJones

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Magician
I'm thinking about getting back in to gig performances. Would need to move to a more economically viable area though if I get serious. The people in my performance niche who are actually successful is a) a tiny number of people b) people who have strong passive revenue streams, especially from within the industry (trade publications, selling scripts and coaching) and perhaps most discouragingly c) people who have done very well in other careers first or concurrently.
What niche is that?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by replicawatchesuks
What are some of the non-office ways members on this forum make a buck? It seems like there are much more interesting ways of making a living than just "working for the man."

I don't do these things but I saw or read about them and they seemed interesting: wild boar hunter or armed security force to fight off pirates for large vessel container ships. Both jobs are dangerous but sound way more exciting than "working for the man".

bob99

Reaction score
Hey Magician, I assume you're an actual magician? I used to be quite into magic and did a few paid gigs as an accomplished amateur (never really gave any serious thought about turning it into a career.) What type of stuff do you perform?

I was a big fan of Darwin Ortiz back in the day, I loved his books & effects.

Definitely not 9 to 5!

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
this is why I sold.

Originally Posted by Manton
Here's the thing, for 99% of people who strike out on their own, they will be doing exactly the same thing as when they were employed. It's mostly not some magically different type of work.

Yes, you can make more money. But you can also lose a lot. You keep your own hours, but you have no control over the ebb and flow of clients and revenue. Defenitely less security. Paying for benefits is a *****.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bob99
Hey Magician, I assume you're an actual magician? I used to be quite into magic and did a few paid gigs as an accomplished amateur (never really gave any serious thought about turning it into a career.) What type of stuff do you perform? I was a big fan of Darwin Ortiz back in the day, I loved his books & effects. Definitely not 9 to 5!
Yeah, used to be full-time though it was more mentalism/hypnosis towards the end. Now I'm doing the smart thing(?) and back in school. I met Darwin through my mentorship with Alain Nu and even got to do some gigs with him in DC, Quite a talent. I cherish my personalized copy of Strong Magic (which incidentally was a gift from Richard Kaufman - my time performing in DC was good to me)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads