Non-traditional, non "9-to-5" ways of earning a living.

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by bob99, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I am the man, which is much more interesting than working for me.

Same here. I'm often envious of my employees.

I thought about robbing small time pot dealers, I live in a college town, so I think I could make a good living out of it.

[​IMG]

2. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Senior member

Here's the thing, for 99% of people who strike out on their own, they will be doing exactly the same thing as when they were employed. It's mostly not some magically different type of work.

i always assumed it was doing what you used to do for 50 hours a week and then spending an extra 30 hours a week doing all the stuff your old company employed whole departments to deal with, accounting, payroll, legal, tax etc etc etc

as much as i love the idea of working for myself, i hate the idea of dealing with all that stuff which i have no exeperience or interest in.

3. milosz

milosz Senior member

I haven't really had a 'boss' since my early '20s. Help run the family construction business most of the time, hustle side-jobs and Ebay for the rest of my income. I'm fairly poor and have no insurance - but I also have zero job-related stress and if I feel like taking the afternoon off to meditate or work on a personal project I usually can.

4. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

i always assumed it was doing what you used to do for 50 hours a week and then spending an extra 30 hours a week doing all the stuff your old company employed whole departments to deal with, accounting, payroll, legal, tax etc etc etc as much as i love the idea of working for myself, i hate the idea of dealing with all that stuff which i have no exeperience or interest in.
    +1 on this. Even if you decide not to do it yourself, you have to pay others to do it. And then oversee their work.

5. blahman

blahman Senior member

And wait until you get your tax bill. Self-employment tax sucks.

Sucks only for the portion of income you reported on. [​IMG]

Also why risk landing in jail dealing meth when you can charge just as much for the same amount of work being a plumber or an electrician?

6. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Sucks only for the portion of income you reported on. [​IMG]

Also why risk landing in jail dealing meth when you can charge just as much for the same amount of work being a plumber or an electrician?

In my experience, the IRS is way, way more upset over failure to report income than they are trying to slide a few extra deductions through. I recommend being very accurate on the first page of your 1040.

As to dealing: you don't really understand the economics of the business, do you?

7. facebookdigg123

facebookdigg123 Senior member

make a really popular youtube channel and make a six fig salary

8. Biscotti

Biscotti Senior member

Bar-tender, waiter, police officer, professor, fireman, nurse, restaurant manager

9. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Worked for myself for a lot of years, putting this or that together, somehow always made enough to survive. Now that I'm old I have a regular gig (still contract work but pretty steady). I like having a place to go, sitting in the cube shooting the shit, regular pay as long as I remember to send an invoice.

10. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

App developer.
    Trust fund payments.

11. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

A lot of companies these days offer things like flex time or telecommuting. Are there really still that many jobs (other than customer service/support etc) where you're really required to physically be at your desk exactly from 9am to 5pm?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

A lot of companies these days offer things like flex time or telecommuting. Are there really still that many jobs (other than customer service/support etc) where you're really required to physically be at your desk exactly from 9am to 5pm?

The company that I work for is extremely strict about time. People have been fired for abusing it.

13. Mr. White

Mr. White Senior member

I haven't really had a 'boss' since my early '20s. Help run the family construction business most of the time, hustle side-jobs and Ebay for the rest of my income. I'm fairly poor and have no insurance - but I also have zero job-related stress and if I feel like taking the afternoon off to meditate or work on a personal project I usually can.

Your family owns a construction business, yet you think you're "poor." You are mistaken. You are part of the upper class.

14. dtmt

dtmt Senior member

The company that I work for is extremely strict about time. People have been fired for abusing it.

What industry/job function?

15. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Your family owns a construction business, yet you think you're "poor." You are mistaken. You are part of the upper class.

[​IMG]

Safe bet that you have zero experience in construction?