1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Non-STF 501s

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by ruben, Nov 13, 2006.

1. ruben

ruben Senior member

A few weeks ago I bought a new pair of non-STF 501s, not knowing what I now know about STF, and raw denim (I thought STF = painted-on-tight 501s).

After reading some of the stuff here I wanted to toss them and start over with STFs, but that got me thinking, what are the real differences?

-Will there be any discernable difference in the cut/fit of a pair of STf 501s shrunk to me and my 501s? Which, I should add, I washed already (they got caked w/gypsum) and let dry on my legs.

-Is there any difference in how the two pairs will age, fade and get lines?
    As I see it, if my 501s are made using the same fabric as 501xxs, just that mine were washed before they were made, then there is no real diffrence in fabric between my pair, and a pair of 501xxs that have been washed to facilitate the shrinking part of shrink-to-fit.

-My only real problem with the 501s is that they're pretty loose in the seat, and I've hopefully just corrected that problem by soaking them in some warm water.

Am I correct in these assumptions?
    Are regular 501s worthless?
    Should I toss them?
    What are the differences?

2. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

As far as I know, the STF are just the original state of your prewashed 501. I don't know anything about the wear patterns and such, but I assume that they will not come out the same. The cut of the two is the same. I think all 501's are loose in the seat, this is just the "anti-fit."

3. water

water Senior member

I really like my regular 501s. They fit me very well and the price is definitely right.

4. Max

Max Senior member

I had normal 501s from kohl's for like 5 years. They take a while to fade, but you'll get the crotch bloom and the thigh stripes eventually. They last forever; don't expect to put holes in them any time soon.

5. ruben

ruben Senior member

thanks

Are non-STFs looser than STFs?

edit: I guess I should add, I'm not really caught up in how they'll fade etc, I'd prefer just to get ones that I like the fit.

6. noblesurfer

noblesurfer Active Member

non stf's don't have leg twist. They fade just as good as stf's if treated the same, I have a few old pairs that look pretty good, all things considered.

7. prozach1576

prozach1576 Senior member

If you want a cheap pair of Levis that are more fitted, check out 514s or 511s.

8. repressedm

repressedm Senior member

What is the proper way to take care of non-STF 501s (or 511s, etc)?

9. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

Are STF and non-STF levis clearly labeled? I mean if I walk into JC Penny or whatever and see a pair of 501s, should it be obvious if they're STF or not?

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

IIRC, they are labeled shrink to fit. i have never seen them anywhere but a Levi's store.

they also have a 36in. inseam, which unless you are a giant, is too long for any man.

11. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

oh, I swear I just read in some other thread that stores like JC Penny, Sears, Kohls etc have them.

12. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

you may be right. i could be way off on my comment, its just that is what i remember.

13. xchen

xchen Senior member

Shrink to fits are labeled and should say 501XX on the leather patch. In general XX denotes that they are a shrink to fit jeans with some of the repro companies as well, such as Skull's 5010xx cut.

14. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

ahh, good to know. thanks.

So, if they're shrink-to-fit, aren't they also meant to be worn for a long time without washing? So are you supposed to get the size that fits before wash or what you assume will fit afterwards?

15. robbie

robbie Senior member

If you held a pair of un-washed and washed 501's in each hand you'd easily be able to tell the difference.

16. xchen

xchen Senior member

Fat-Elvis, if you get some STF's then you need to soak them in hot water to shrink them down to your size before you begin wearing them. I'd recommend wearing them into a bathtub and then wearing them until they dry. At that point you can wear them and choose to either wash or not wash but the soak will be pretty necessary IMO.

17. pitboss12

pitboss12 Senior member

If you go into JC Penny, Sears, Kohls etc, the STFs wil be labeled shrink to fit and the prewashed 501s will be labeled prewashed. You can also tell by feel. Prewashed will feel softer than STF which will feel like cardboard.

I've been wearing my 501 STFs unwashed for 6 months pretty rough. I wear them to hike in heavy brush and for working outside. I've got lots of creasing and some fading in high abrasion areas. I even have a small hole developing near the cuff. The fades should be interesting once I finally wash them.

18. calbee

calbee Well-Known Member

Shrink to fits are labeled and should say 501XX on the leather patch. In general XX denotes that they are a shrink to fit jeans with some of the repro companies as well, such as Skull's 5010xx cut.

We get STF's made in a few countries and only a few mark the tags with a XX. I've read a few places the XX denoted the rivets on the rear pockets and after awhile was just adopted to the tag as part of the logo and now doesn't really mean anything.

19. Fat-Elvis

Fat-Elvis Senior member

If you go into JC Penny, Sears, Kohls etc, the STFs wil be labeled shrink to fit and the prewashed 501s will be labeled prewashed. You can also tell by feel. Prewashed will feel softer than STF which will feel like cardboard.

I've been wearing my 501 STFs unwashed for 6 months pretty rough. I wear them to hike in heavy brush and for working outside. I've got lots of creasing and some fading in high abrasion areas. I even have a small hole developing near the cuff. The fades should be interesting once I finally wash them.

when do you plan to wash them?

20. xchen

xchen Senior member

We get STF's made in a few countries and only a few mark the tags with a XX. I've read a few places the XX denoted the rivets on the rear pockets and after awhile was just adopted to the tag as part of the logo and now doesn't really mean anything.

I just read this aswell on another site. Apparently early 501XX were produced after WWII, but they kept the XX for several generations after this time. Apparently aside from the rivets these also varied in the placement of the back center beltloop.