• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Non-staple Staples

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The recent Friday challenged explored outfits without most of the accepted staple items. The results were...interesting. It turns out there is a reason why staples are considered staples. They aren't just the easiest to use, they border on necessary.

There are a couple of lists along the lines of Building a Proper Wardrobe or You're Not Well Dress Unless You Own the Following Items, but I did a hasty search and found nothing really responding to the question "OK, what next?"

So, assume that the following are already owned:

- charcoal and navy suits
- burgundy and navy ties
- brown and black captoes
- mid gray trousers
- white linen pocket square
- white and blue solid shirts

What would be the next set of items you would recommend a person to buy?

My list:
Double breasted navy jacket (if wanting to be an iGent)

A blue blazer (if wanting to be a normal person)

Brown wool trousers

A dark paisley pocket square

A solid brown tie, a solid black tie, and a muted neat

Blue OCBD and a white striped shirt

Brown chelsea boots

Bill Dlwgosh

Reaction score
I don't own all of your essentials but even if that list were the contents of my closet I would still be jonesing for a great grey SC. As a contractor I don't need suits for work and aside from the trusty solid navy in my closet I'm happier building outfits around Sport Coats for nights out as opposed to collecting suits that I would almost never have occasion to wear. So, yeah, my vote would be for a Grey Sports Coat. Oh, and if we're including accessories, then a respectable dress watch.

Last edited:

JimmyLegacy

Reaction score
Oh man the double breasted navy jacket is tempting but.... I'd have to say the single breasted blue blazer is the one to go with... much more versatile.

my 2 cents

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It depends upon your personal style, professional and social life.

For me:

-Navy jacket, patch pockets, brown horn buttons
-Pink shirt
-SIlk knit ties in black and then a nice color to compliment a navy jacket with dots.
-Suede cap toes or brown double monks (Lobb WIlliam)
-nice trim denim, no washes or distressing
-off white cotton fine twill pant
-Polo neck or 1/4 zip neck cashmere sweater in grey or perhaps plum(the grey wont work with grey pants but plum will work with grey, navy, any of the shirts and give you a bit of color under your jacket or alone).

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
-Navy patch pocket sportcoat - dunno how this isn't considered an essential staple

-Assuming you meant blue and white formal collar shirts, so add in some "non-staple" button down collar shirts

-Brown shell loafers

-Khakis

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.5%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 113 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 102 30.2%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.7%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%