• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Rule "Rules"

emc894

Reaction score
I pay attention to seasonal stuff like lighter/brighter colors (including browns in shoes) during summer months. Day and Night dressing. White shirt and black shoes and more shiny/ elegant fabrics. at night (dark tie obviously if im wearing one). I would never wear tan shoes with business clothes.

Basically being consistent with the spirit of the rules and dressing to the occasion. I try to not wear anything I know will turn heads or that I know people will receive comments during the day, including aggressive fits and pointy shoes. Sometimes I will wear a cashmere coat or silk scarf or swiss sportswatch or something at night that invites attention or touching, and I am cognizant of that.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Heh.  I usually wear french cuff ***** to the office and button cuff to court (and when I'm flying that day), because I can't be bothered fiddling with cufflinks at the metal detectors.  Security devices are the enemy of the well-dressed man (see also: airports and shoes).

I fly frequently with watch, tie bar, cuff links (and dog tags!) and never have to take them off at the metal detector.

BaldwinP

Reaction score
I fly frequently with watch, tie bar, cuff links (and dog tags!) and never have to take them off at the metal detector.
It depends on the court and the airport I find.

I recall one court I used to appear in frequently where the metal detector was so slack I once inadvertently entered with a keyring in my pocket that had a miniature swiss army knife attached, and certainly never had to take off my belt or anything of that nature. These days the courts and airports I go through always seem to at least require me to take off my belt, and so I don't take the risk of having to fiddle around further. I even make sure not to have metal collar stays in on those days. Personal idiosyncracy, I guess. I seem to have a face that gets me pulled aside for extra checks at the airports anyway, whether I'm returning from holiday in a sweater and jeans and 5 days' growth or I'm on business carefully groomed in a handmade Italian suit, so I have a bit of an aversion to setting off the metal detectors and drawing even more attention.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't noticed you before and know everything I read that you posted today is killing me :nodding:

I'm not sure whether I should be flattered or offended.

Well done!

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rules Taht I Live BY

1. Inverness Capes may not be worn until after Grouse Season.

2. Breeks with Veldtschoen and Gaiters are correct, Wellingtons are
non-U.

3. Tartans may only be worn after six PM

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

"Sorry I'm late. I didn't want to stretch out the cuffs on my sweaters."

Let's be real, the only way this would happen would be if you weren't wearing a shirt under your sweater. Isn't having it sit on your neck a lot worse for it than that?

Unless you're trolling, which, I mean, "No brown shoes with black suits?" That has to be said?
"Sorry I'm late. I didn't want to stretch out the cuffs on my sweaters."

Let's be real, the only way this would happen would be if you weren't wearing a shirt under your sweater. Isn't having it sit on your neck a lot worse for it than that?

Unless you're trolling, which, I mean, "No brown shoes with black suits?" That has to be said?

If I'm wearing a sweater, then
1) I'm not at work, and do not need to constantly check the time
2) I have my iPhone, which shows the time

Oh, and also I don't like to wear dress shirts (or any collared shirt) under sweaters either.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm wearing a sweater, then
1) I'm not at work, and do not need to constantly check the time
2) I have my iPhone, which shows the time

Oh, and also I don't like to wear dress shirts (or any collared shirt) under sweaters either.

Fair enough. I feel weirdly naked without a shirt collar or a watch. Sweaters without shirt -- can't do shetland like that, and I'd worry about killing cashmere or merino by doing that. Not that I need to worry about cashmere sweaters in this lifetime, of course.

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't wear the following until I'm over 30:
- A pocket square
- Chalk stripes/pin stripes
- French cuffs

I work in a legal office.

Last edited:

tennesseean_87

Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing a few of these(*), but here's how I automatically dress:

1. Odd jackets with chinos, cords, etc=OCBD every time*
2. Blazer with nicer wool trousers=No collar buttons
3. Only white squares for church, especially when preaching and/or leading worship (I go CDBish but without the same level of formality)
4. Fall-winter, wear as many layers as weather permits
5. Dress as casually as possible in jacket and tie for class (graduate level)
a. but don't wear boat shoes with a tie.
6. Summer-spring, wear socks as little as possible
a. but only with loafers, boat shoes
b. lace-ups always get socks

UTfootball747

Reaction score
This is more of a rule for casual wear, but I think the pant leg rolling thing that's everywhere (in ads more so than actually on people) looks goofy and I refuse to participate.

SirJamesWinston

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm thinking of changing a few of these(*), but here's how I automatically dress:

1. Odd jackets with chinos, cords, etc=OCBD every time*
2. Blazer with nicer wool trousers=No collar buttons
3. Only white squares for church, especially when preaching and/or leading worship (I go CDBish but without the same level of formality)
4. Fall-winter, wear as many layers as weather permits
5. Dress as casually as possible in jacket and tie for class (graduate level)
a. but don't wear boat shoes with a tie.
6. Summer-spring, wear socks as little as possible
a. but only with loafers, boat shoes
b. lace-ups always get socks
2. That is interesting. OCBD (or BD) looks great with cords and khakis, but I have noticed they seem off with my nicer HY mid grey flannels
3. This is a good rule. One I may institute myself. Or only a silk square (i.e. not my white linen) if I am wearing a very basic or plain tie. Don't want to appear to be too much of a dandy in this role and even the basic white linen causes brows to raise. If the shirt, tie, suit, socks, and shoes are sober, some pop with the ps would look nice.
5a/6a. No boat=no boat shoes, though they are comfortable. Either bluchers, loafers, or white sneakers.

Last edited:

SirJamesWinston

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Here goes:
  1. Undershirts and underpants should be 100% cotton (and should never be seen).
  2. OTC socks trump ankle socks as they stay up and provide slight compression throughout the day for runner's calves.
  3. No cheap leather. Don't waste that animal's skin.
  4. Horse butt leather is the ideal for leather items, as at least in theory the horses died of natural causes, but will remain the ideal until the budget allows.
  5. No boat=no boat shoes.
  6. No no-show socks. Either wear socks, or don't wear socks. Going for the sock-less look while wearing socks is sigh inducing.
  7. Grenadines are for suits.
  8. Rubber bottomed leather shoes should only be worn as bad weather beaters.
  9. Ties should be correspond to your body type. For me it is 3.25" and below as my height is 6"2, and my weight is 164 lbs and dropping (ideally to 155 lbs).
  10. No belt loops on suit trousers if your weight is stable.
  11. Narrow point collars do not look good on anyone. I've read the argument that a heavier rounded face person should wear this type, but it only seems to accentuate their chin(s). It also looks cleaner to have the points tucked away and not stranded on the shirt.
  12. More than one ring looks comical on a man.
  13. Bracelets look comical on a man. I've seen appealing outfits in this forum marred by sigh inducing accessories.
  14. Jeans should only be worn casually with a t-shirt and sneakers, or in their proper role as manual labor pants with boots and a long-sleeve work shirt. Dark jeans can look good with tweed or a flannel shirt, but I will abstain. Jackets express authority. Jeans express manual labor. Why mix the two?
  15. No regimental/striped ties with suits. Maybe someday I will get over my distaste for looking like a politician.
  16. The only silk ties that should be worn with odd jackets are regimental/striped ties, knits, or silk/linen and silk/cotton blends.
  17. No BD and tie with suits. Would consider BD sans tie with a suit, but would still probably avoid.
  18. Short pants are for children and the female sex. Shorts are to be worn at the beach, or when exercising, and the shorter the better. My running shorts for training (not racing) have a two inch inseam.
  19. If you have any connection to a particular clan in Scotland or Ireland, no other obvious tartan clan pattern should be worn. As a descendant of the MacDougall clan, I have only one option and it looks like this:

If you have no such connections, then you are free. And yes, the whole tartan clan thing is quite silly, and dubious historically before the 19th century, but if you are going to represent, show some loyalty.
  20. Wear more causal shirts with odd jackets. Save the sober semi-spreads for the suit(s).
  21. Four-in-hand.
  22. No pocket square with corduroy trousers. It looks off. Not sure about moleskins yet, as I won't get a pair till next fall.
  23. Avoid wearing nicer dress shirts without a jacket. Rule voided above a certain temperature (my boiling point TBD).
  24. Reserve wedding ties for weddings and your funeral tie for funerals or equally sober events (i.e. Good Friday service). Eventually I will add a baptism tie (KW shepherds check navy for example), and a communion tie (KW shepherd's check red for example) to this reserved list.
  25. Be charitable. Remember from whence you came, and that where you are now, is likely someone else's came from.

azwildcat

Reaction score
That is certainly the popular opinion here, but you will find that many of the better informed members would strongly disagree. Sorry Spoo--you seem like a nice guy, but you dress poorly, and it doesn't have to be that way.
Think less about finding "combos." We are not women. We don't buy outfits. We build wardrobes. Buy staples that can be easily paired. Learn to do that by picking up "rules" and learning what is classic. You will naturally develop your own taste and eccentricities over time without trying to grow a personality.

For fall/winter trousers: buy many, many pairs in light or medium grey. Flannel or twill are very versatile. The former arguably looks and feels better, but the latter is harder wearing and perhaps easier to take care of. You can wear grey trousers with pretty much any jacket without having to think hard about it.

For jackets, concentrate on simple, staple patterns with brown and tan backgrounds. Preferably, these jackets should be in rough, textured cloth appropriate for odd jackets. Anything smooth and fine is wrong. Get a navy blue blazer.

Shirts: light blue should be your staple. Again, can be worn with anything. Branch out with some blue/white patterned shirts (checks, stripes, etc.). Reserve other colors for when you have built up enough of a foundation and have mastered putting it to use. Reserve white shirts for business formal dress. Don't wear them with odd jackets.

Shoes: don't feel the need to buy many black pairs, though you should have one pair of black cap toes (punch caps if you like) for when you want to look the most business formal possible (to go with your white shirt). Instead, pick up many brown and burgundy shoes. In my opinion medium to dark brown, along with cordovan, are the the most versatile. Lighter browns and warmer chestnut-oriented hues can be very striking and beautiful, but are often harder to wear because they stand out more (they don't work well with dark grey suits, for example).

Done. More or less.
This may be the best message board post I've ever read. Cheers and thanks. Can I get a summary like this on parenting? Biz? Marriage?

The one thing I do wish I'd personally thought about a bit more in following this and related Mafoofan advice is varying contrast based on complexion as discussed by Flusser. More specifically, I wish I'd gone with lighter blue shirts, so as to have more contrast in fits. And maybe a bit heavier on the white in the blue/white shirt ratio... since I can squeeze in a few more in the rotation based on work setting. But that's just an excuse to order more a bit sooner.

Allen Smithee

Reaction score
When one sock in a pair has the imprint, usually the brand name, on it, that sock goes on the left foot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads