• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Rule "Rules"

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Of the high end British RTW guys, Lobb has, hands down, the ugliest collection. Some of those shoes are uglier than what Kenneth Cole does.

I agree...I remember when I first started learning about really high end shoes and the different brands and Lobbs were like the final stage of enlightenment, or at least the most expensive one. But every time I saw them, my reaction was something between "meh" and "definitely not"...I'm sure the level of craftsmanship is amazing, but their styling is just not for me.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
I don't like English shoes :hide:

I'm glad RJ is talking about Massaro though, which I guess you could consider English but the designs are anything but. I tried bumping the thread a couple weeks ago but no one cares about that very nice brand.

Last edited:

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've spent some time talking to Philippe Atienza, who ran the Lobb Paris bespoke atelier, now that he is at Massaro, and he agrees with us about the Lobb Paris RTW designs, which got more gimmicky (sorry :foo:) and even uglier around the time he was leaving. Ironically, the RTW shoes he has designed for Massaro are some of the most beautiful RTW shoes around, and some of the most beautifully finished.
Lobb RTW's ugliness isn't completely new though -- the Campus and Lopez are some of the fugliest penny loafers imaginable.

I saw some at the salon in some in very odd (or let's say French) colors...:confused:

Bespoke samples are superb though.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't like English shoes :hide:
I'm glad RJ is talking about Massaro though, which I guess you could consider English but the designs are anything but. I tried bumping the thread a couple weeks ago but no one cares about that very nice brand.

I think they are just too high-end and too unobtainable.

Lear

Reaction score
I know many taller blokes fudge it by having a much shorter rear tie blade. I can't do it though. I have to have the two blades at roughly the same length.

Lear

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Another one: No double-monks

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've spent some time talking to Philippe Atienza, who ran the Lobb Paris bespoke atelier, now that he is at Massaro, and he agrees with us about the Lobb Paris RTW designs, which got more gimmicky (sorry :foo:) and even uglier around the time he was leaving. Ironically, the RTW shoes he has designed for Massaro are some of the most beautiful RTW shoes around, and some of the most beautifully finished.
Lobb RTW's ugliness isn't completely new though -- the Campus and Lopez are some of the fugliest penny loafers imaginable.

Is it just RJ Man now or doth the RJ Man Bear Cat yet live?

More importantly, is he back to stay? :slayer:

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Throw me in the "EG trumps other RTW brands" camp. Sure, there are exceptions (like the Phillip II, which is amazing), but the majority of RTW designs from places like Lobb, G&G etc. are far too stylized.

Would love to learn more about Massaro. I always thought of them as a maker of women's couture shoes.

Last edited:

ctp120

Reaction score
I'm a pretty massive EG fan, though to be fair, I've never owned any of the other top RTW brands--haven't felt the need to. I will say, however, that the Anthony Cleverly Bodie is perhaps the best looking shoe I've ever seen in person, at least in terms of shape.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Nah double monks can be nice.
Just cos some bloggers are wearing them in a terrible way doesn't mean you can't wear them well.

You may be right, but it was just one of those moments where I was just like....****...I want to do whatever it takes to avoid looking like THIS guy.....

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

To be fair, those are actually single monks, although does it even count as a single monk if one can't even be bothered to buckle the strap? 2nd pic is an abomination on all levels.

ok, you are right, but double monks would only exacerbate the #menswear **** show that is those fits. There are some normal people that wear single monks that have never visited Tumblr or SF. For double monks, I have my doubts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads