Non-Rule "Rules"

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 27, 2012.

Tags:
  1. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

leather or rubber and could not imagine worrying about matching to belt/shoes, but thats me

2. edmorel

Oh actually here is my one rule. I think I never have and never will wear a tieless non BD collar shirt with a jacket and I dislike it when I see someone wear it. The only thing that I can truly say bothers me. The only thing worse is doing this but with a suit.

3. NORE

NORE Senior member

I can't stand BD collared shirts. I need a stiff (preferably white) collar on all of my shirts. And no chest pocket, either.

I personally think that while rare, a formal shirt with an odd jacket tieless can look good. I will not post a pic bc I think manton is testing out his DH powers and it will most def get nuked anyway :)

Ed :plain:

:)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member

I wear the same dark brown alligator belt with everything, unless i'm wearing braces. If I'm formal enough to wear black lace ups i'm usually wearing braces.

By coincidence I also wear a brown alligator watch strap.

5. NORE

NORE Senior member

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

OH, I exclusively wear tailored clothing by RL/Corneliani. I will not wear anything else. As a matter of fact the only non-RL stuff in my entire wardrobe is probably Levis, FTL t-shirts, ties and some socks.

7. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Well, I suppose I should have added another personal rule.

5) A suit always requires a tie.

But I think that this is an actual rule even though it is regularly violated by style icons like Ahmadinejad.

8. SkinnyGoomba

RLPL with a sterling buckle and Cartier respectively.

I have been branching out from Polo and Purple label, though I still lean on it quite a bit. I had the chance to check out a ton of other brands while in rome/florence and find a few to work as well or better for me than RL.

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

Interesting.

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

many of these are honest to god RULES rules, like no black shoes with khakis, come on, that's ironclad.

11. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Is this a "been had polo" thing? :confused:

How is this possible? Being tied to a particular brand seems awfully restrictive to me. I did not know that RL even did bespoke.

Seriously though, both of you guys are way too experienced and knowledgeable to be brand whores. You don't need to rely on some designer's vision to make yourselves look good. If you see a jacket you like, what difference does the label make?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I never wear a belt with a suit. I have been getting all of my trousers with suspender buttons and side tabs.

13. SkinnyGoomba

I didnt think it was any big secret. It has more to do with being an easy go-to for me than anything else. It's a real trek for me to get to the UES or elsewhere to try on other brands and find style forum's B&S to be wayyy to much of a hit or miss to bother with it anymore on anything other than shirts or ties.

If it makes you feel any better my most recent have been Brioni (for boxer shorts), Corneliani mainline for a jacket, Ferragamo shoes. I gave Kiton, Zegna's top shelf stuff, and a handful of others a shot and found it didn't fit well in the shoulders.

14. bellyhungry

bellyhungry Senior member

- I don't wear black dress shoes. For occasions that require them, I wear my very dark brown dress shoes
    - I avoid wearing french cuff dress shirts - they seem like magnet to attract stubborn stain and is a pain in the arse to clean thoroughly. And if I do wear them, I don't use cuff links
    - As much as I can, I wear no-show dress socks all 4 seasons. Actually, I prefer no-show socks even for casual wear
    - I would like to go sock less, but have not find a way to do so comfortably
    - Rarely do I ever button up my button-down dress or casual shirts
    - I like the collar of my dress shirts to be tall and stiff
    - I prefer solid-colored ties these days on solid color white or medium blue dress shirts. I much rather the cut and the fit of the suit speak for me rather than relying on the colors and patterns
    - I only wear slim fit raw selvege jeans these days and I prefer the cheap ones (GAP, Levi's, and Unbranded) because they all stretch out eventually to the point that I have to discard them
    - I stopped wearing my loafers years ago. Not a fan of monk-strap either (but this could change after seeing Nomar's)
    - I love wing tips. I wear them with anything even for formal occasions that call for balmoral/oxford

15. edmorel

I actually like black, wingtip gunboats with khakis :confused: