• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-obvious advice for newcomers!

Doc4

Reaction score
This thread ... http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=74850 ... got me thinking. (It's a thread dedicated to what SF members hate ... baggy suits, crocs, pleated dockers ... the obvious stuff.)

I'm wondering, what advice can the seasoned vets of SF give to the newcomers. I'm thinking specifically of newcomers who know enough not to wear crocs and ill-fitting clothes and so-forth ... but have a modicum of style sense already ... and need it amped up a bit.

So, what are the common mistakes of guys who think they are trying to be stylish ... myths to bust ... warnings of things that you'll see in glossy magasine ads that are still sooo wrong ...

supercarl

Reaction score
doing up the bottom button, shuld be a hanging offence

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've found...posting regularly in the WAYWN thread has allowed me to cull valuable feedback from others as well as create a visual document of all my looks so that I can get a better and more objective understanding of how I put together a look. In the past month or so I have gained a far better understanding of my own personal style than I had ever had before...allowing me to take it to the next level.

I think that made sense...
eh.gif

embowafa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the best thing for newcomers, because I was recently one, is to read through as many threads and soak up as much information as possible before even thinking about posting. It gets a little annoying to see the "Tell me what to wear" threads that provide no context whatsoever. Read, look, appreciate, digest, and try to come up with your own style....over time The biggest thing I've learned so far is that it doesn't take a week, or a month, or a year...it becomes a lifelong obsession of constantly updating one's wardrobe. I used to think "ooh, as soon as I get this pair of shoes, or this tie, or this suit, then I'll be good to go" That's not the case at all. While it can be hard on a bank account or credit balance, only constant re-evaluation and updating of a wardrobe will help to improve someone's style. Look at PG...that dude had what was considered some of the best looking suits/outfits on this board....he goes out and orders another 5 suits to tweak his wardrobe and he looks better than ever. While not everyone can afford to do that, the idea that such a well dressed guy re-evaluated his clothing shows that it's a never ending process.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by embowafa
Read, look, appreciate, digest, and try to come up with your own style....over time

The biggest thing I've learned so far is that it doesn't take a week, or a month, or a year...it becomes a lifelong obsession of constantly updating one's wardrobe. I used to think "ooh, as soon as I get this pair of shoes, or this tie, or this suit, then I'll be good to go" That's not the case at all. While it can be hard on a bank account or credit balance, only constant re-evaluation and updating of a wardrobe will help to improve someone's style.

Look at PG...that dude had what was considered some of the best looking suits/outfits on this board....he goes out and orders another 5 suits to tweak his wardrobe and he looks better than ever. While not everyone can afford to do that, the idea that such a well dressed guy re-evaluated his clothing shows that it's a never ending process.

Excellent advice.

bdbb

Reaction score
One of the most important pieces of advice is to avoid getting cheap clothes or clothes you don't love just to fill out your wardrobe. Buying nice clothes at a healthy discount has a lower long term cost than cheap clothes. In addition to lasting longer from being more durable, you're also likely to WANT to keep them longer. Plus, nice clothes can be resold to recoup most of what you spent(or even at a profit if you got a good deal), whereas mediocre clothes become near worthless once worn.

Also, buying new suits is generally NOT a good use of money. It's better to put some time into finding a used suit at ~90% off retail. I paid around $200 for my first suit and it was a fused, no-name italian brand that looked nice but ended up not lasting/wearing well. Whereas just last week, I paid $130 for a current-looking Oxxford that is indistinguishable from new and fits perfectly with no tailoring. The Oxxford will last as long as I want it to last and I should get all of my money back when I'm tired of it, whereas I doubt I could get $50 for the other.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a drummer in my band who basically would buy used but high quality drums and sell them after he used them for a while....the habit ended paying huge when he wanted a new toy.

This is what happens when you accumulate a high quality wardrobe.
You wear them and when you are tired you can sell them for a healthy price of what you paid (either screaming deals or lightly used items).
For me, I started with odd jackets and ties, I now have too many, but all are exceptional.
Now suits and shirts.
Shoes are a constant.
Do not just buy out of the desire to have this or that, if you wait you will be rewarded.

Just remember this a community, it gives to you, so remember to give back.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some of these will be obvious to most of you guys, but I mention them because I either see the problem frequently or because it took me all too long to figure it out. (I can be a little slow, OK?)

--If you're wearing a shirt without coat or tie, try a soft collar. Too many guys wear stiff collars for casual purposes, and it just looks awkward. If you're wearing a shirt on its own, you don't want the points flaring out like knives. This is especially true in warm weather.

--When layering in winter, shirts in light, thin cloths work much better under sweaters than do their heavier breathern. I see way too many guys with huge bulges under their sweaters that could be avoided easily. If wearing a crewneck, this is a good time for the soft collars mentioned above.

--Linen is way underappreciated in summer. For shirts, linen-cotton is even better.

--If the budget is limited, alterations become even more important. Don't skimp.

--Clothing needs to be worn in context. A fedora looks silly with a T-shirt and cargo pants. Best not to let any one element become the star of the show.

--As a corollary to the above, you can get away with more if your clothes fit properly.

--Grenadines are the most versatile ties a man can own. A guy, if he had to, could get away with only three: black, navy and burgundy. Throw in a bottle green and you're really livin'.

--There comes a point at which "well dressed" turns into "prissy." Clothing shouldn't look like you're trying hard. Don't wear too many new things at once.

--If your tastes lean to the theatrical, as mine do, take off one thing before you leave the house.

--And finally, as a reminder to myself, restraint is the most crucial part of elegance. This applies to every aspect of the wardrobe, even down to the shininess of a tie.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Doc4
...I'm wondering, what advice can the seasoned vets of SF give to the newcomers...
I suggest you read books as 99.99999999999% of what is on these forums is naught but sheep dip!

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the best thing for newcomers, because I was recently one, is to read through as many threads and soak up as much information as possible before even thinking about posting.

It gets a little annoying to see the "Tell me what to wear" threads that provide no context whatsoever.

Read, look, appreciate, digest, and try to come up with your own style....over time

The biggest thing I've learned so far is that it doesn't take a week, or a month, or a year...it becomes a lifelong obsession of constantly updating one's wardrobe. I used to think "ooh, as soon as I get this pair of shoes, or this tie, or this suit, then I'll be good to go" That's not the case at all. While it can be hard on a bank account or credit balance, only constant re-evaluation and updating of a wardrobe will help to improve someone's style.
Most men don't want that, and being stylish does not require the watchfulness you suggest it does. While "Tell me what to wear" doesn't work, a thorough introduction to a guy and his wardrobe often can be enough to help him quickly find a style that works for him for a long time.

Count Monaco

Reaction score
This hasn't been mentioned. How about wearing your collar like a normal human being?
237ad43l.jpg

migo

Reaction score
fit is the most important thing. Also, I've found that if you're able to soak up as much information from the forums, then you can take the liberty to break some rules, and more often than not, it is accepted (except being too conservative and not wearing a PS...I was berated for that one and I'm still recovering!).

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Some of these will be obvious to most of you guys, but I mention them because I either see the problem frequently or because it took me all too long to figure it out. (I can be a little slow, OK?) --If you're wearing a shirt without coat or tie, try a soft collar. Too many guys wear stiff collars for casual purposes, and it just looks awkward. If you're wearing a shirt on its own, you don't want the points flaring out like knives. This is especially true in warm weather. --When layering in winter, shirts in light, thin cloths work much better under sweaters than do their heavier breathern. I see way too many guys with huge bulges under their sweaters that could be avoided easily. If wearing a crewneck, this is a good time for the soft collars mentioned above. --Linen is way underappreciated in summer. For shirts, linen-cotton is even better. --If the budget is limited, alterations become even more important. Don't skimp. --Clothing needs to be worn in context. A fedora looks silly with a T-shirt and cargo pants. Best not to let any one element become the star of the show. --As a corollary to the above, you can get away with more if your clothes fit properly. --Grenadines are the most versatile ties a man can own. A guy, if he had to, could get away with only three: black, navy and burgundy. Throw in a bottle green and you're really livin'. --There comes a point at which "well dressed" turns into "prissy." Clothing shouldn't look like you're trying hard. Don't wear too many new things at once. --If your tastes lean to the theatrical, as mine do, take off one thing before you leave the house. --And finally, as a reminder to myself, restraint is the most crucial part of elegance. This applies to every aspect of the wardrobe, even down to the shininess of a tie.
This is excellent advice. I would add: buy good shoes and keep them polished. So many nice outfits are ruined by crappy looking shoes. I admit that this is standard SF advice, but so many men need instruction on this point!

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The best advice is to lurk here for a good long time and soak up some knowledge and some style by osmosis. Then, when you start to get a clue, ease your way into participating in the discussions that go on here.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by philosophe
This is excellent advice.

I would add: buy good shoes and keep them polished. So many nice outfits are ruined by crappy looking shoes. I admit that this is standard SF advice, but so many men need instruction on this point!

I was reading this thread and thinking the same thing. Clearly you do not have to build a collection of JL's but at the same time having a collection of KC's is not doing yourself a favor either.

Taking your time to think before purchasing is crucial, I have some huge wastes of money in my past that I'd rather not think about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads