• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-nylong wheeled carry-on?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a new carry-on. It has to be wheeled. But I'd like it not to be made of nylon: I hate the look of old nylon bags, but I also hate trowing stuff away when it's still serviceable. So what are my options? Most wheeled leather luggage I've seen just looks pretentious and ostentatious to me (but I'd love it if you could show me one example that isn't). Then we have Filson, but their wheeled carry-on looks too much like a pointlessly overgrown and boxy version of their fishing bags. Those two belts on the front look particularly impractical and -- I know it's trite, but I like form to follow function (within the bounds of aesthetic sufficiency, hence no nylon). If you can't think of any leather/canvas/? bags, do you know of any nylon bags with enough leather trimmings for the nylon not to age horribly along the edges? OK, perhaps I'm being unreasonably picky. All the same, I'd be very grateful if you could help me out. EDIT: maybe this? http://www.hartmann.com/shop/productDetail-sku-3050-CA Any aluminum luggage with external pockets?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like SAB's wheeled trunks. BB has an 18" version of it.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Old Hartmann has tweed luggage.

MarcInDentonTx

Reaction score
I've owned Hartmann for more years than I care to admit and can't say anything bad about the luggage or service (I've had several repairs over the years without any problems form the company at all). I currently have 12 pieces, two of the 22" belting leather Deluxe Mobile Travelers in use constantly since I travel every week. The separate compartment for the garment sleeve is great. Not cheap, but they get better and better with age.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My default & IME I have not found any metal luggage with external pockets.
For check in (normally only the metal one. But as I had been away for 8 months, I had to pack for extra seasons)
8-46.jpg

For carry on
8-39.jpg

8-40.jpg

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those aluminum cases look very good, PG. Not sure it will work as a carry on though: in Europe a lot of airlines don't allow a carry-on plus a small briefcase, so external pockets become essential. PS Love the Monocle/Porter carry on, despite the nylon:
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
8-40.jpg

Too bad it doesn't have wheels.

rayuela

Reaction score
Second the Rimowa. But in my opinion four wheels are an absolute must. Not sure if they make the metal ones with four wheels, but I have two of the carbon fibers with four wheels and they're great: lightweight and pretty durable. I had a couple of problems with one wheel but Rimowa was pretty good about fixing it for free.

cbird

Reaction score
Mulholland has a decent version in mostly cotton canvas with some decorative leather pieces. I have one, it's OK, but I had the zipper break. For true durability, I'd recommend the Filson.

Dragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think Rimowa makes PG's size with 4 wheels. If you want 4 wheels, you need the Cabin size (1 size larger), but for some smaller airplanes they will not let you carry it on.

mrmax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Those aluminum cases look very good, PG. Not sure it will work as a carry on though: in Europe a lot of airlines don't allow a carry-on plus a small briefcase, so external pockets become essential.

Another vote for Rimowa. I have the following in rotation, each for varying continents/needs:

This one has an elastic strap on the back that will attach to handles of other bags, so I will often mix and match between these three.

mrmax

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dragon
I don't think Rimowa makes PG's size with 4 wheels. If you want 4 wheels, you need the Cabin size (1 size larger), but for some smaller airplanes they will not let you carry it on.

+1.

You are correct they dont make them in 4 wheels. The larger size does have 4 wheels but it is substantially larger, and IIRC does not fit within size limits for the majority of international airlines.

Mr. White

Reaction score
Nylon repels dirt and water. Canvas can't hold a candle to it. Nylon is much lighter than aluminum or leather, which is important for LUGGAGE because you can't wheel it up stairs.

cbird

Reaction score
Nylon is easier to keep clean than canvas, but canvas is a much better water barrier than nylon. I used to use nylon panniers on my bicycle for touring, but they allow the contents to get completely soaked, so I switched to canvas panniers a few years ago and they have been completely effective at protecting the contents from even heavy cloudbursts.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
What's your budget?
valextra-uomo-collection-1.jpg
- B

If that's Valextra it's definitely out of my budget. Plus I don't like how they've branched out of via Manzoni (I am culturally quite Milanese). And it looks a bit conspicuous -- love the wheels though. I was thinking a maximum of £500, but I could spend a bit more for something I really like. I'm in no rush with this purchase though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads