• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-matching vest 3 piece

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a grey pinstripe vest/waistcoat, but no matching suit/pants. It's not light, but not dark enough to be charcoal. I'd prefer to make a 3 piece out of it, since I think wearing it without a jacket makes me look like a waiter.

What suits can I wear with this? Here's what I have currently:

-Navy
-Black
-Grey plaid (probably not a good idea)
-Dark chalk stripe
-Medium Grey

Sorry I don't have a camera.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holdfast wears odd vests all the time.

Of what you mentioned, I'd say medium gray would be best. You want something that will have as much contrast as possible IMO. If the suit is too close to the vest but not actually the same fabric, it will just look wrong, like you tried to get them the same but failed.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd vests look very good with contrasting suits. Like odd-jackets, I prefer my odd vests to be more casual as far as patterns and materials go, so as not to look like an orphaned 3pc's vest.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could wear it with jeans but with a suit it will look exactly what it is. An orphan.

Whether you want to look ridiculous is entirely for you to decide.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
Holdfast wears odd vests all the time.

Yeah, I've got into it this winter.

I agree with what you say - max the colour contrast and it's relatively straightforward. Choose fabrics with similar formality level to that of your suit.

I did try an outfit earlier this week with a solid grey flannel waistcoat and a slightly lighter grey camelhair houndstooth suit. Though the colours were close, I hoped that the obvious pattern contrast would do the job instead. I think it worked, but it's tougher to pull off than a colour contrast.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a question I had in the back of my mind as well. I wasnt sure how to work it, but I agree with the comment above, makes sense. If its an orphan vest you need to contrast as much as you can.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads