• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-leather shoes

Reaction score
Where do you find them? I know every vegetarian has their own decision about this, but for me, I've decided I shouldn't be wearing leather. I found a couple options, opinions anyone?

AfterSixWarwickTuxedoShoes1.jpg

officeshoe250.jpg

BalmoralCapToeTuxedoShoesTwoTone1.jpg

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't go half-ass. wear fabric or cloth shoes.

jmix1

Reaction score
If I had to choose I would pick the middle pair. The patent not leather and calf not leather combo of the other two is awful.

jareha

Reaction score
NOHARM has a few traditional-style shoes that don't look "half-ass[ed]". Personally, I'd get this pair of ankle boots if they were carried in size 15 US.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear faux-leather shoes, people will think you are wearing leather shoes, thereby perpetuating harm to animals. The blood is on your hands

chimpattack

Reaction score
First off, congrats on your decision to abstain from leather. I made a similar decision some time ago. It really is a sacrifice, because while there are some decent options available, nothing compares to the craftsmanship and quality of good leather shoes. IMO the best option out there is the line Sanders makes for Vegan Essentials. The quality is the best I've seen so far. The 'leather' is very convincing, they're welted, and they're made by a respectable manufacturer with some history. I have a couple of pairs (the bottom ones in the picture) that I alternate between during the warmer months and will probably pick up more. I have a couple of pairs from Vegetarian Shoes as well. The quality isn't as good, though I haven't ordered any of their welted shoes... just the rubber soled 'Herbert' and 'Office Shoe' (the top pair in the picture). I primarily wear these in bad weather/winter. I'm not crazy about the styling of most of Noharm's shoes, though the wingtips aren't bad. Haven't heard anything about the quality, and at twice the price of the Sanders, I won't be buying a pair until I do. Novocas is another company that makes decent looking non-leather shoes. I've been meaning to buy a pair, but haven't yet, so far no idea about quality. Almost everything else I've come across is either ugly or garbage.

chimpattack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If you wear faux-leather shoes, people will think you are wearing leather shoes, thereby perpetuating harm to animals. The blood is on your hands
This is nonsense. No one is going to give up wearing leather just because I show up to work dressed foolishly.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
think of the blood. the pain. the suffering. being sliced open alive.

jareha

Reaction score
What brand are the pair of shoes on the bottom left, chimpattack?

Eccentric

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac

This. Your shoes look like leather, and if they are good looking, people will be envious. They, however, will not wear faux-leather, they will wear the real thing. Probably corrected grain to boot.

Avebury

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind a pair of shoes made from this beast! There'd be enough fur left over for a nice pair of gloves and hat, I'd warrant. As the Chinese say: "catch, kill it, eat it". Delicious.

Doc4

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chimpattack
This is nonsense. No one is going to give up wearing leather just because I show up to work dressed foolishly.

I think the argument could be stated:

"You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. If you look like you are part of the problem, you cannot be part of the solution. The obviously-not-leather option needs to be made more mainstream in public view."

Of course, I'm playing devil's advocate here, and wearing some pretty nice BB Peals ...
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads