• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-iron shirts

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Do any premium shirtmakers make non-iron shirts. I know Brooks and jos A. Banks do (And various lower-end makers as well). I am wearing a H&K shirt today and its wrinkled before 10am. While my Brooks non-iron look perfect at the end of the day. However, I am looking to see if there is better quality maker out there.

drljva

Reaction score
Do any premium shirtmakers make non-iron shirts. I know Brooks and jos A. Banks do (And various lower-end makers as well). I am wearing a H&K shirt today and its wrinkled before 10am. While my Brooks non-iron look perfect at the end of the day. However, I am looking to see if there is better quality maker out there.
I have not tried the brands you speak of, but I can say that I'm quite fond of the Eton non-iron shirts. The workmanship on the shirts is quite good, the fabrics are nice, and they travel extremely well. I don't know where to get Eton shirts in the US (what I do know is that they're sold at a premium over here.); I get mine in London.

JV

JohnMS

Reaction score
If price is not an issue, I would recommend the Eton. I've also tried Brooks Brothers, Nordstrom Smartcare, and Jos Bank. I like the way the buttondown collar lays on the Jos Bank shirts, but their shirts aren't contructed as well as the Nordstrom or BB. If paying retail, Nordstrom charges less than Brooks Brothers.

Regarding fabrics, I find that the broadcloth shirts in the non-iron are easiest to take care of.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Well price is always a factor. How much do Eaton shirts go for? Are they available in the US or do I have to order from outside the country?

These are the only companies that do non-iron? I can't understand why. It fits the American lifestyle so well. Who has time?

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All non-iron shirts require some sort of treatment to the fabric or synthetic fabric composition. I think high-end shirt companies, who live on their histories of traditional methods and cotton fabrics, are probably hesitant to compromise. A lot of people, as well, don't cotton to shirts that are baked or 10% poly; it's true they don't breathe as well as a normal shirt.

I like the Brooks Bros. shirts best, out of BB, Nordstrom, and the Charles Tyrwhitt non-iron I have. The BB I run through the dryer, while the Tyrwhitt recommends removing from the washer and hanging dry. I don't need to iron that shirt, but it doesn't stay wrinkle free like the BB and Nordstrom shirts tend to.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I have the Brooks Brothers shirts. Its just that I can fit my wife in it with me. I ordered some MTM from Brooks, but besides the expense, they feel a little stiff compared to the RTW models.

drljva

Reaction score
Eton shirts were £55 in Selfridges (Oxford St.) the other day.
And 5 quid off that if you bought three or more. :)

JV

Andrew V.

Reaction score
FYI, Brooks Brothers has just added to its very limited selection of patterned non-iron slim-fit shirts. Â There is now the "alternate tattersall shirt" available in pale lime, lavender, orange, or light blue. Â The cost is $75 or three for $179

JohnMS

Reaction score
My preference for fit is the Brooks slim cut. A lot less blousy than Nordstrom or Jos Bank.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Brooks has a very limited slim fit collection. Even a basic white shirt in a spread collar is not available.

Andrew V.

Reaction score
Of course if you want to spend between $127.50 and $172.50, you can special-order a BB shirt in a nice variety of non-iron colors and patterns with your choice of collar and cuffs.

justbrowsing

Reaction score
Brooks has a very limited slim fit collection. Even a basic white shirt in a spread collar is not available.
I keep checking every season to see if they have finally decided to put out a slim fit, non-iron Ainsley collar in basic solid colors. I have bought enough of the polo collars to last me indefinitely and I refuse to wear forward point collars. I dream of the day when the only ironing I need to do is the occasional Jantzen shirt.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ari in Boston stocks a good selection Eton shirts. For that matter, Ari Gil (the proprietor, if I recall his name correctly) has put together a very nice store in downtown Boston, IMHO. He's very knowledgeable and has an excellent tailor on site for alterations. I have purchased Belvest MTM through him in the past. Definitely worth stopping by if you are in Boston. Zareh is also nearby, although I prefer Ari. As for Eton shirts -- I love mine. They are totally easy to care for (mine never need pressing -- just a quick steam) and the fabrics are quite nice. Construction isn't that great, but for some reason I've found their slim fit variant fits me really well. With great fabric, low maintenance, and excellent fit out of the box, I am willing to compromise on construction. Although Darren Beaman doesn't approve of Eton's buttons.
smile.gif
Montecristo

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics