• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Non-Iron shirts

Composer_1777

Reaction score
Just curious about anyones experience with wrinkle-free/non-iron shirts. Are these tacky, how do they feel, are they just BS ?

- thanks

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Composer_1777
Just curious about anyones experience with wrinkle-free/non-iron shirts. Are these tacky, how do they feel, are they just BS ? - thanks
They are not tacky, but they don't have the features of a nicer shirt (MOP buttons, fabric quality). I hang dry them and then spray them with a little bit of water and throw them in the dryer for a minute or two and immediately put on a hanger. I never iron the non-irons, which is great.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
love em, but would like to see stuff like MOP buttons etc on them.

Acipenser

Reaction score
I have heared somebody saying that they actually breath worse, any opinions on this?

Ed Sullivan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Acipenser
I have heared somebody saying that they actually breath worse, any opinions on this?

Not my experience.

Acipenser

Reaction score
Neither is mine, but I have read once in an article from a shirtmaker, unfortunately i forgot the source.

Acipenser

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DapperDave
They are not tacky, but they don't have the features of a nicer shirt (MOP buttons, fabric quality). I hang dry them and then spray them with a little bit of water and throw them in the dryer for a minute or two and immediately put on a hanger. I never iron the non-irons, which is great.

Are non-iron shirts always of less quality fabric? lower count for example?

TGPlastic

Reaction score
I have a few. I don't like them as much as non-non-wrinkle shirts. Seems like they grab stains and hold on to them more stubbornly. What's more, they just don't feel as good as plain old cotton. The few I have see very infrequent wearing.

Reaction score
I'm dangerous with an iron, so I stick to non-irons to keep my dry cleaning bill reasonable.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the BEST QUALITY non-iron shirts?

Land's End claims theirs don't need to be ironed for the first 25 washes.

I bought a non-iron shirt from Macy's (Donald Trump's line) and unsurprisingly the quality matched its low price, and it now has some stray threads coming off the buttons and collar.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a few that seem nice enough, although they are only a few months old. They seem to have a slightly different feel to them, but nothing too unpleasant. I am curious how they will wear after a few years. I believe they are all cotton, but have been treated with something to avoid wrinkling - not like the old 60/40 shirts that would pill after a few washes.

Jayhawk1412

Reaction score
Nordstrom Smartcare and Boat Shirts are classic non-iron, wrinkle free, stain resistant.

They also have a high-end J.W. Nordstrom tailored fit made of egyptian cotton that is easy to take care of and wrinkle free.

The tag will say tailored fit if the shirt fits trim, and all others are a classic boxier fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads